[news.groups] crossposting to moderated and unmoderated groups

Please point followups to an appropriate group.

 glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) writes:

> I am using nntp/cnews. I seems that whenever I post an article to both
> a moderated and an unmoderated group, I loose the article that was to
> go to the unmoderated group. In other words, the article is sent to
> the moderator of the moderated group, but it is not put in the
> out.going batch for the unmoderated group. Has anyone else ever
> experienced this problem?

This comes under the famous "that's not a bug, it's a feature" saying.

You crosspost to moderated groups at the sufferance of the moderator;
if the moderator allows your crosspost to stand, the article will show
up in the unmoderated group(s) when the moderator forwards the article
to the moderated group, not when you originally post it.

In my (not terribly strong) opinion, that is just as it should be.

There is one misfeature to the current operation, however; if you
crosspost to two moderated groups, the concurrance of one moderator
posts the article to both groups. By rights, you should have to thread
the list of moderators by email before your article showed up at all;
i.e., the Approved line should show both moderator's approval before the
article goes public. That's probably too complex to manage in the news
software, though.

By the way, there really needs to be a "news.software.misc" where
changes needed across the entire congerie of news software can be
discussed, like the often requested protections against unintended
crossposting and followups.

Kent, the man from xanth.