[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Create sci.compression?

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.161231.16798@cs.fau.edu> ERTEM@ACC.FAU.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Feb11.004336.26106@rand.org> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
>   [stuff deleted...]
>>Data compression is meaningless outside of a computer context; it is
>>arguably as much a part of computer science as compiler writing or
>>microprocessor design.
>
>. . . . However, digital communications
>is not part of computer science. I also have doubts about microprocessor design
>being only a CS area too.
>
>M. C. Ertem
>Electrical Engineering Dept.  <---- Where else would you expect anyway?

*Sigh*  Mathematicians think CS is engineering, while engineers think
it is mathematics.  The truth is, both paradigms apply.  CS was still
cross-disciplinary, last time I checked...

My mistake was saying ``a computer context'' rather than ``the context
of computing.''

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org