[news.groups] Splitting comp.sys.handhelds

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (02/26/91)

   I hate to say it, but I think what we really need is
comp.sys.handhelds.msdos, to cover poqet/portfolio/jaguar and
whatever else is in the works.

   The Wizard loses out, but look what happened to
comp.sys.laptops-- 99.9% of the discussion is about msdos
machines (or 386 clones running unix). If Atari's "Stacy" laptop
is discussed at all, it's undoubtedly under comp.sys.atari.st;
I've never seen it mentioned in comp.sys.laptops. Likewise for
the portable Macs. Machines like the Z88 and M100 fit in where
they can (most likely comp.sys.misc or a mailing list). I have no
reason to believe that handhelds will be any different within a
few years.

   Of course, as someone pointed out, we could make it
comp.sys.hp.handhelds and comp.sys.msdos.handhelds, and while
we're at it, comp.sys.msdos.laptops, but that affects three other
hierarchies that didn't ask for us to bother them.

==================
zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (02/27/91)

In article <1746@madnix.UUCP> zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) writes:
>   I hate to say it, but I think what we really need is
>comp.sys.handhelds.msdos, to cover poqet/portfolio/jaguar and
>whatever else is in the works.

Yea right.  I have been reading c.s.h for over a year, and we have had almost,
oh...50 posts on all the these systems.  Why thats almost one a week.

Maybe we should wait and see if things pick up for those systems before we
start a new group.

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (03/01/91)

In Article <16891@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
(Michael L. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1746@madnix.UUCP> zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) writes:

>>   I hate to say it, but I think what we really need is
>>comp.sys.handhelds.msdos, to cover poqet/portfolio/jaguar and
>>whatever else is in the works.
>
>Yea right.  I have been reading c.s.h for over a year, and we have had almost,
>oh...50 posts on all the these systems.  Why thats almost one a week.

   Please note that the lack of non-HP postings to c.s.h does not
really prove or disprove anything. To the casual observer, c.s.h
is "obviously" an HP-only group.

>Maybe we should wait and see if things pick up for those systems before we
>start a new group.

   You have a point, but not for the reason you gave. A better
idea would be to direct poquet/portfolio/jaguar discussion to
comp.sys.laptops, which is "obviously" an msdos group.

   Based on traffic, comp.sys.handhelds doesn't need to be split,
but it *does* need to be renamed. The HP28 & 48 have very little
in common with the Wizard/Boss/Portfolio (except for physical
size), and it really doesn't make sense for them to share a
newsgroup.