[news.groups] Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (02/24/91)

In article <SJM9SU3@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437@acc.stolaf.edu> rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
>> But, from what I have been reading, there
>> are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
>> willing to do the job.  Why not let them?
>
>OK, post a CFD to news.announce.newgroups for your new moderated source
>group. It *doesn't* have to be comp.sources.unix, you know. Call it, I
>don't know, comp.sources.reviewed?
>--
>Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com
>+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
4th!  (The article is attached.)

I received a grand total of one letter in reply, and have seen no
discussion of the proposal.  Ironically, my posting suggested that a
Call for Votes would be issued today.  I was about to give up on the
idea because of the apparent apathy.

Do people want to discuss it?  Should there be a call for votes?

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
andrew@calvin.doc.CA
                    "The interface IS the program."

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb24.034947.10921@rick.doc.ca> andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>In article <SJM9SU3@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>OK, post a CFD to news.announce.newgroups for your new moderated source
>>group. It *doesn't* have to be comp.sources.unix, you know. Call it, I
>>don't know, comp.sources.reviewed?
>
>I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
>news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
>4th!  (The article is attached.)

The simple truth is that most people are very satisfied with the fine
job that Rich $alz does.

I sincerly doubt that there is that much high quality software being
sent to Rich.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (02/25/91)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>The simple truth is that most people are very satisfied with the fine
>job that Rich $alz does.

I think that this is a wrong assumption.  Most people have now started
to depend on mail servers, BITFTP, anon UUCP and (for those on the
internet) FTP'ing.  I think that most people are DISsatisfied with
the state of comp.sources.unix, but have found a resonable alternative.

>I sincerly doubt that there is that much high quality software being
>sent to Rich.

I agree; the software that IS posted to comp.sources.unix is VERY
high quality.  However, I know for a fact that software has been
sent to him, and that it has fallen into a black hole.  Lots of it.
Hell, couldnt a moderator actually be on the lookout for good
software and make a point of distributing it, rather than waiting
for it to be submitted?

Would it not be better to have more postings of perhaps a lower
quality software, rather than 15 postings a year of higher quality?

The enormous increase of mail servers, BITFTP replies, etc. are
costing the USENET a fortune, and the obvious remedy (mass postings) are
becoming a rarity.

What aggravates a lot of people is the notion that a moderator is
some sort of god, who is doing the entire net a favor.  They ARE
doing everyone a favor, and it IS appreciated, as long as they
are consistent enough to spread software quickly.  Otherwise, you
get 1,000 requests for the same software every week via email.

  However, what about the organizations who are PAYING for the BITFTP
replies, mail servers transmissions, etc. and get no recognition?  If
you think that this amount is negligible, you obviously havent priced
the net lately.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/25/91)

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>Would it not be better to have more postings of perhaps a lower
>quality software, rather than 15 postings a year of higher quality?

This is precisely what a number of people have been arguing against.
It is the reason that comp.sources.misc exists.

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

paj@mrcu (Paul Johnson) (02/28/91)

I didn't bother responding because I thought it was such an obviously
Good Thing that it would be passed by aclamation (sp?).  After all,
what are the disadvantages?  If it is created and turns out to be a
success then we can revise the charter of the other comp.sources
groups to make them peer-reviewed.  If it dies we can simply drop it.
What have we got to lose?

PS I took alt.sources.d out of the crosspost line as we do not get it.

Paul
--
Paul Johnson                               UUCP: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!paj
--------------------------------!-------------------------|-------------------

dick@smith.UUCP (Dick Smith) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb24.034947.10921@rick.doc.ca> andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
>news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
>4th!
>
>I received a grand total of one letter in reply, and have seen no
>discussion of the proposal.  Ironically, my posting suggested that a
>Call for Votes would be issued today.  I was about to give up on the
>idea because of the apparent apathy.
>
>Do people want to discuss it?  Should there be a call for votes?

Here's what I assumed from the current traffic:

  (1) People don't want to discuss it... it was discussed at great
      length under various headings prior to the CFD.  I recall you
      saying that you had sufficient volunteers to run the "..reviewed"
      group.  That alone indicates some interest.

  (2) There SHOULD be a call for votes.  I, for one, will vote yes.
      No matter what one thinks about the performance of other groups,
      it would be good to have more quality source code available.
      I think most of the net will agree.

--
Dick Smith				dick@smith.uucp
R. H. E. Smith Corp.			dick%smith@ast.dsd.northrop.com