[news.groups] Splitting C.S.H

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (03/03/91)

In Article <771ED61B40001D50@gacvx2.gac.edu>,
CW%APG.PH.UCL.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>.................................. I think it would be very bad to
>split the group. It is a group for handheld owners and the 48sx is a
>handheld. In the future other machines will come along and people
>will rave about them -- will they be thrown off ? -- Thrown off
>of c.s.h. for discussing handhelds??? Isn't that completely illogical?

   What's completely illogical is discussing dissimilar machines
in the same newsgroup. Some "handhelds" are designed for
number-crunching, and would be difficult to use for any serious
amount of text entry. Others are the opposite. If the HP's had
qwerty keyboards and larger displays, I might also have opposed
the split.

And they are not being "thrown off", just given their own
newsgroup. Perhaps the split should be:

comp.sys.handhelds.tenkey
comp.sys.handhelds.qwerty

   Yes, I know the HP's have more than 10 keys, but you know what
I mean, and so would everyone else. You may have noticed that
this is the 3rd completely different solution I have proposed, in
addition to the one officially under discussion. Any of them
would have the desired result.

==================
zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (03/06/91)

In article <1752@madnix.UUCP> zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) writes:
>comp.sys.handhelds.tenkey
>comp.sys.handhelds.qwerty

Ummm ok, assuming that you are thinking that any machine without qwerty
is a number cruncher, where would you put the SHARP Wizard?  There are
more too.. I could go through Educalc if you like.

	ian

-=Runaway Daemon=-

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (03/09/91)

In Article <1991Mar5.164440.23600@csn.org>, frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU
(-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>In article <1752@madnix.UUCP> zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) writes:
>>comp.sys.handhelds.tenkey
>>comp.sys.handhelds.qwerty
>
>Ummm ok, assuming that you are thinking that any machine without qwerty
>is a number cruncher, where would you put the SHARP Wizard?  There are
>more too.. I could go through Educalc if you like.

   I was thinking that any machine with a keyboard built around a
"ten-key" number pad is a number cruncher, and that any serious
text machine will have a qwerty keyboard-- including the latest
Wizard.

   I'm also assuming that any machine that does not fit those two
categories will be equally difficult to categorize in any other
way, and would end up in a ".misc" group anyway. Can you think of
a word to describes them?