[news.groups] Possible mail problems with "CFV: talk.politics.aids"

Despite my mailer turning the "Reply-To: tpa-vote%wolves@cs.duke.edu" of
the call for votes posting in news.announce.newgroups into the perfectly
reasonable:

        > uupath tpa-vote$wolves@cs.duke.edu

        ames!gatech!mcnc!duke!wolves!tpa-vote

The mail does not in fact make it to the vote taker; delivery is attempted
at cs.duke.edu rather than at wolves.

In hopes that an early report of problems can keep the vote from being
messed up, here's the bounce message (sorry for the mess, I really don't
know enough about email to know what's important here); long lines are
wrapped to make the box routine work, and tabs are expanded, and I nuked
the content of my vote from the original Subject line; otherwise, this
is what the bounce looked like:

/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| From ames!gatech!mcnc.org!wolves!mcnc!mcnc.org!MAILER-DAEMON           |
|         Sat Mar  9 18:20:36 1991                                       |
| Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 17:34:49 -0500                                     |
| From: Mail Delivery Subsystem                                          |
|         <ames!gatech!mcnc.org!mcnc.org!mcnc.org!MAILER-DAEMON>         |
| Subject: Returned mail: User unknown                                   |
| To: wolves!mcnc!gatech.edu!ames!zorch!xanthian@mcnc.org                |
| Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 11:35 PST                                          |
| From: gatech.edu!ames!zorch.SF-Bay.ORG!xanthian@mcnc                   |
|         (Kent Paul Dolan)                                              |
| To: cs.duke.edu!tpa-vote@wolves                                        |
| Subject: XXXXX vote on talk.politics.aids as proposed                  |
| Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,soc.motss,talk.politics.misc,      |
|         talk.religion.misc,sci.med,sci.med.aids                        |
| Cc:                                                                    |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Notice that, at least according to my uupath report, that last "To:"
line is _not_ how the mail left here.

In fact, here's the header from my "record" copy of the outbound mail.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| From xanthian Sat Mar  9 11:35:54 1991                                 |
| Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 11:35 PST                                          |
| From: xanthian (Kent Paul Dolan)                                       |
| To: tpa-vote%wolves@cs.duke.edu                                        |
| Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,soc.motss,                         |
|         talk.politics.misc,talk.religion.misc,sci.med,sci.med.aids     |
| Cc:                                                                    |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------/

[It would be more than dandy if nobody's mail software felt compelled to
 muck about with the original "To:" line so that it was still around for
 the record. Someone along the path butchered mine, but there's no way to
 know who it was from the bounce message.]

If this is in any case a local problem, sorry for cluttering up the net
with it.

Kent, the man from xanth.

news%wolves@cs.duke.edu (News Administrator @ Wolves) (03/11/91)

(To quote Arte Johnson ---  vvvveeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy  interesting!)

First, there are some bounces being seen here at wolves where the mail
is being misdirected through here toward duke!tpa-vote.  All seem to
involve gatech in some manner.  Mail that makes it to mcnc or duke other
than via gatech is being delivered and dealt with correctly.
-----

That said, what follows are some thoughts on my examination of the
headers that Kent provided and the mail.log here at wolves.
---

It sure looks to me as if gatech has done some reorganizing internally
and has the mailers abusing mixed mode addresses again.

I have seen some very mangled headers to and from this site and most
seem to have been manipulated by gatech.  Occasionally, I have seen mcnc
behave a little wierd, but Kent's example sure points a hard finger at
gatech.  I've never heard of a site makeing a real distinction between
its domain name and its uucp name, but there it is, gatech.edu and
gatech.UUCP with seperate headers!

It is also possible that the problem lies with ames.  The other piece of
mail that was misdirected to duke for a user at this site also came
through ames.  There are, however some mangled mailings (apparantly)
from gatech that did not go thru ames.

At the same time as Kent's bounce, another piece of mail via gatech got
similarly mangled.

Wolves is not an aggressive re-router and could not recognize that
"duke!tpa-vote" was really bound for wolves.

I suspect that there are some sites that have a few problems in the map
data and are not handling the "%-hack" as documented.  Though passing
the % to a uucp mailer may guarantee no particular result.

There is a transform:
	tpa-vote%wolves@cs.duke.edu
	cs.duke.edu!tpa-vote@wolves

that is troublesome.  That transform, while technically "right" in some
sense is not guaranteed to work since the result is a mixed mode address
that has no "right" interpretation.  Different systems can (and do)
interpret the mixed ! and @ addresses in opposite orders.

	Whoever produced the address expected one behaviour, and
gatech.UUCP in resolving the address for gatech.edu did it the other
way.  There is no way to say who is correct.

	You might look in your record of outgoing mail for Dec 19 and
see what address you sent mail to site wolves via on that date.
--
Usenet Net News Administrator @ The Wolves Den
news%wolves@cs.duke.edu    news%wolves@mcnc.org    ...duke!wolves!news