[news.groups] CFV: comp.sys.hp48 moderated and comp.sys.hp48.d

rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (03/16/91)

In article <-6%=NK-@rpi.edu> handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu writes:
>CALL FOR VOTES:
>
>comp.sys.hp48      (moderated: source, informative postings)
>comp.sys.hp48.d    (unmoderated: general discussion)

I urge everyone to vote no for this proposal.

1) there has been no discussion about this proposal in news groups and I
do not remember a RFD for a moderated group in news.announce.newgroups. If
someone wants a group, follow the guidelines which include a discussion of
the name and moderation status in news groups.

2) I oppose the moderation aspect. There is no need to moderate the group.
Almost all other news groups in the comp.sys tree are unmoderated, this one
should be

3) There is no need for a separate discussion group.

I would like to have the proponents of the proposal withdraw this premature
CFV and issue a real RFD [Request for Discussion] as the guidelines require.

--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (03/16/91)

In article <4720@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) writes:
>In article <-6%=NK-@rpi.edu> handhelds@vax.anes.tulane.edu writes:
>>CALL FOR VOTES:
>>
>>comp.sys.hp48      (moderated: source, informative postings)
>>comp.sys.hp48.d    (unmoderated: general discussion)

>I urge everyone to vote no for this proposal.

>1) there has been no discussion about this proposal in news groups and I
>do not remember a RFD for a moderated group in news.announce.newgroups. If
>someone wants a group, follow the guidelines which include a discussion of
>the name and moderation status in news groups.

There was a CFD issued in news.groups (or, at least in
news.announce.newgroups) in excess of two weeks ago.  The original CFD
was crossposted to comp.sys.handhelds.  Almost all of the ensuing
discussion has taken place in comp.sys.handhelds, with only a few
articles being crossposted to news.groups.  The discussion in
comp.sys.handhelds has been extensive (and heated at times.)  The
"consensus" (if one can call it that) from the discussion has been to
create the above two newsgroups:  comp.sys.hp48, and comp.sys.hp48.d

The above two groups are being being suggested as a "splitoff" of
comp.sys.handhelds.  The hp48 is a "handheld" programmable
calculator, although it is much more powerful than what one considers
a typical programmable calculator to be -- in many ways it can be
considered to be a handheld computer.  In any case, the hp48 has
generated significant traffic in comp.sys.handhelds, drowning out
nearly everything else.  These two new groups are being voted on to
address this issue.

The structure that is being voted on has been extensively discussed in
comp.sys.handhelds -- the news users that are most directly concerned
with the issue.  If your site hasn't yet expired the original CFDs
posted to news.announce.newgroups, you will see the original CFD
there.  The fact that the discussion migrated to comp.sys.handhelds,
and that you missed the crossposts to news.groups could be because the
raging rec.music.christian discussion in news.groups drowned it out.

In much the same way as the c.s.h.hp48 discussion was overwhelmed by
r.m.c, hp48 discussions have drowned out other traffic in
comp.sys.handhelds.  To permit comp.sys.handhelds to once again become
a forum for "miscellaneous" handhelds, a vote for comp.sys.hp48 is
strongly encouraged.

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter

In article <1991Mar15.193522.21919@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) writes:

>There was a CFD issued in news.groups (or, at least in
>news.announce.newgroups) in excess of two weeks ago.  The original CFD
>was crossposted to comp.sys.handhelds.  Almost all of the ensuing
>discussion has taken place in comp.sys.handhelds, with only a few
>articles being crossposted to news.groups.  The discussion in
>comp.sys.handhelds has been extensive (and heated at times.)  The
>"consensus" (if one can call it that) from the discussion has been to
>create the above two newsgroups:  comp.sys.hp48, and comp.sys.hp48.d

Yes, I remember that discussion and then it disappeared. Now we see a call
for vote on a topic which the net at large [or those who follow such things
in the appropriate news.groups] has had no input on. It has been blindly
presented to us and we are expected to vote on it. Wrong!

What you should have done us what the people in comp.sys.amiga did. They
had the discussion within their own news group and when they had reached
a [sort/of] consensus on what they wanted to do, a long Call for Discussion
was placed in news.announce.newgroups and additional discussion was held
with the rest of the interested parties. The Call for Vote was then issued
about a month later and it passed.

What you should do it cancel the CFV and put out a new RFD with a summary
of the discussion within comp.sys.handhelds. Then allow people who have
other interests to participate in the discussion. A blind CFV with no frame
of reference is a very bad mistake.

As I said, I believe that you probably have a case for splitting the group
but the specifics need to be discussed.