[news.groups] Splitting the group

spell@thebeach.UUCP (Chris Spell) (03/19/91)

In <1991Mar15.190012.18656@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu> conte@crest.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Conte) writes:

>In article <1991Mar11.142217.21407@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, mueller@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:
>> I vote for the split....
>> [lots of good reasons deleted]
>> other handhelds for us to split off.  So why don't we just do it?  As for the
>> name of the group ... comp.sys.hp48 ... comp.sys.handhelds.hp2848 .... whatever
>> it really doesn't make any difference to me.  LET'S JUST DO IT!
>>
>> Carl Mueller (mueller@math.wisc.edu)
>>

>Carl, I agree and I'm with you 100%, but I voted NO to comp.sys.hp48[.d]

>It's not the issue of the name, no, it's the issue of having a moderated
>newsgroup. That makes no sense to me.  Moderation is useful to control
>flame wars, and (apart from the CFV ;-) there just hasn't been that much
>of that here.

>I might vote YES for one group: an unmoderated comp.sys.hp48, without
>the discussion group (comp.sys.hp48.d).
>------
>Tom Conte	  Center for Reliable and High-Performance Computing
> conte@uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
>		  Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour

	The purpose of the moderated newsgroup comp.sys.hp48 is not to
	control flame wars.  My vision of that group is that it would carry
	all sources in a uniform form which will download to the calculator
	without any problems.  All the articles would be suitable for
	archiving with a standard rkive(1) header so that people doing
	archiving will have less work to do.  Also, it would be nice to send
	the technical documents like the processor notes and such to the
	moderated newsgroup.

	The moderated newgroup was not intended to replace the
	discussion group, only to add to the discussion group.  I do
	not expect nor do I want everyone to send every message to me
	for posting.  That can be sent to comp.sys.hp48.d.  If it
	was a good question with lots of good responses, I will post a
	summary of the thread on comp.sys.hp48, thus allowing it to be
	easily archived.  Then, if you do not want to wade through all
	the traffic in the discussion group or you don't want the added
	bandwidth of the discussion group, you could only subscribe to
	the moderated group and essentially get everything from the
	discussion group in a condensed form.  Do you not feel that this
	would be useful to everyone reading this newsgroup??  I
	personally would think that this would be very useful to
	everyone interested in the hp48sx.

	But as it stands now, people don't understand how nice having
	the moderated group will be so they vote no.  Therefore we will
	probably not have a split.

	Vote Yes to comp.sys.hp48 & comp.sys.hp48.d.

Chris
---
|      spell@[ thebeach.uucp | uncw.uucp | ecsvax.uncecs.edu ]      |
|    {...,gatech,rutgers,decvax}!mcnc!ecsvax!uncw!thebeach!spell    |