[news.groups] comp.archives.admin

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar18.221702.11225@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:

   Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.d

   The purpose of the newsgroup is to give the community a forum for discussions
   relating to archives and archiving topics.

Kent,

Given the possible (real) concern of a "comp.archives.d" turning into
another "comp.sources.d" or "comp.sources.wanted", perhaps a different
name (with the same charter more or less) is in order.  As a strawman
I propose one of

  Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.admin
  Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.managers

by analogy with comp.unix.admin or sun-managers / decstation-managers,
e.g. policy, strategy, and tactics, geared toward providers of the
service rather than users, polite, sensible, etc.  That gives it a
little more direction than just ".d" which leaves the question of the
target audience rather nebulous.  The one line blurb for news.lists:

    comp.archives.admin	   Administering an archive site.
    comp.archives.managers Managing an archive site.
not
    comp.archives.d	   Discussions about postings in comp.archives.

a la the other .d groups, not true in this case since comp.archives
discussions get fed back into the original newsgroup by design.

Alternatively an "archive-managers" mailing list would be suitable,
though not equally so (mail bad, news good).

I get dibs on the comp.archives namespace :-), since there are some
other possible groups along the same lines which might have reasonable
homes there.
--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

In article <EMV.91Mar22000953@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

   Alternatively an "archive-managers" mailing list would be suitable,
   though not equally so (mail bad, news good).

I tried running one for a while (archivists@sun.soe.clarkson.edu), but
no one used it, so I nuked it.  Perhaps people would use a newsgroup
more...

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

In article <EMV.91Mar22000953@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

| Given the possible (real) concern of a "comp.archives.d" turning into
| another "comp.sources.d" or "comp.sources.wanted", perhaps a different
| name (with the same charter more or less) is in order.  As a strawman
| I propose one of
|
|   Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.admin
|   Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.managers

I think the admin is a good name. If the name should describe the topic
of the group, then the topic is administration, not the managers
themselves.
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,
         but halt and no-op are in hardware for efficiency"

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (03/25/91)

In article <EMV.91Mar22000953@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
#
# Given the possible (real) concern of a "comp.archives.d" turning into
# another "comp.sources.d" or "comp.sources.wanted", perhaps a different
# name (with the same charter more or less) is in order.  As a strawman
# I propose one of
#
#   Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.admin
#   Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.managers
#

Well, what's in a name ? :-)

This is definitely a needed change. It did not occur to me that
it could become another comp.sources.wanted due to the name but
in second light...

#  comp.archives.admin	   Administering an archive site.

I prefer c.a.admin myself.  It is descriptive since the reason for
the RFD was to generate a newsgroup for discussion of archive
administration issues.  Now how do we change the RFD to reflect the
new name ? Issue another ... :-)

			-Kent+
--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent