[news.groups] CFD: Creation of comp.archives.d

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (03/19/91)

At the Dallas USENIX conference the first Archivists BOF was held.  I don't think
it will be the last either. :-) During the BOF it was decided that a mailing list
or newsgroup should be setup so that discussions about archive management could
continue.  Several complained that their mailboxes were too full already so let's
do it in a newsgroup... :-)

CALL FOR DISCUSSION ------- comp.archives.d

Newsgroup Name: comp.archives.d

Moderator: none

This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION concerning creating the newsgroup comp.archives.d.

The purpose of the newsgroup is to give the community a forum for discussions
relating to archives and archiving topics.

Examples of potential topics to be discussed in comp.archives.d :

	Managing FTP archives,        Tools for managing archive sites,
	Using archive sites,          Archive User Interface issues,
	Archiving generated problems, Mail based archive servers,
	Future of archiving

The discussion will occur in news.groups and will be culminated in a formal
call for votes if there is no outstanding opposition on 4/17/91.

~

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.221702.11225@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:

   This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION concerning creating the newsgroup
   comp.archives.d.

yea!

   Examples of potential topics to be discussed in comp.archives.d :

	   Managing FTP archives,        Tools for managing archive sites,
	   Using archive sites,          Archive User Interface issues,
	   Archiving generated problems, Mail based archive servers,
	   Future of archiving

also
	discovering archive sites,
	searching internet catalogs of archive information,
	intercontinental coordination & mirroring,
	newsgroup archives, indexes, searching and retrieval

i'm all for it.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.221702.11225@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:
   During the [first Archivists] BOF [at the Dallas USENIX] it was
   decided that a mailing list or newsgroup should be setup so that
   discussions about archive management could continue.  Several
   complained that their mailboxes were too full already so let's do
   it in a newsgroup... :-)

The forum is a good idea, and the proposed content is a good idea.  I
look forward to participating.  I expect some lively "discussions" (is
that a nice way to put it? :-)

However, the level of traffic is yet unknown, as is the number of
participants (both posters and listeners).  Please establish a mailing
list first, to demonstrate the need.  If the traffic does indeed
overwhelm our mailboxes, and if there are plenty of subscribers, then
we'll have a strong case for a Usenet newsgroup.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.221702.11225@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:
:

>This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION concerning creating the newsgroup comp.archives.d.
>
>The purpose of the newsgroup is to give the community a forum for discussions
>relating to archives and archiving topics.
:

Personally I am (naturally) all for this as a moderator of an FTP
site.  But pros and cons, anyone, if you (we) please?  One question
that comes to mind, is that will this topic be of sufficient general
interest (I sure hope so), or is it still too specific.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

This sounds like an excellent idea; like the recently created
comp.compression, this is another group which would serve the net by its
very existance.

Kent, the man from xanth.

datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta) (03/20/91)

I feel a newsgroup dedicated to archiving topics would be a good thing
to have, in addition to the items listed by Ed Vielmetti and Kent
Landfield, it would be a good place for:

	A Generic FTP-How To
	Normalizing/genericizing archive structures

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.edu [....uwm!uwpvacs!datta] The moon goes around in
 orbit.  It's the only place the moon does go.  The moon only makes left

zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) (03/20/91)

Bob> However, the level of traffic is yet unknown, as is the number of
Bob> participants (both posters and listeners).  Please establish a mailing
Bob> list first, to demonstrate the need.  If the traffic does indeed
Bob> overwhelm our mailboxes, and if there are plenty of subscribers, then
Bob> we'll have a strong case for a Usenet newsgroup.

Well, as one potentially interested reader/contributor, I would ask
that it not be a mailing list.  I also have more mail that I like to
deal with so I would not be a participant in the list.  I would
probably be a part of the group.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu		      Automated Plate Scanner Project

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/21/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>Personally I am (naturally) all for this as a moderator of an FTP
>site.  But pros and cons, anyone, if you (we) please?  One question
>that comes to mind, is that will this topic be of sufficient general
>interest (I sure hope so), or is it still too specific.

at least it would be a place for a FAQ posting on how to
obtain what from where, how to do it most efficiently.
for instance several people here ftp'ed the isode package
(7MB) from overseas because of lack of coordination and
'authoritive' archive sites.

also the United Archivers (TM) might manage to convince
source posters to FINALLY assign version/patchlevel numbers
to EVERY piece of software...
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) (03/23/91)

In article <EMV.91Mar18215712@poe.aa.ox.com>, emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) says:

>In article <1991Mar18.221702.11225@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>
>kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:
>
>   This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION concerning creating the newsgroup
>   comp.archives.d.

>        discovering archive sites,
>        searching internet catalogs of archive information,
>        intercontinental coordination & mirroring,
>        newsgroup archives, indexes, searching and retrieval
>
>i'm all for it.
a regular FAQ would be vital and sensible for this type of group....

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (03/24/91)

Bill Davidsen writes in article <3279@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>
>It should be clarified if this is to be a group for ftp topics only, or
>to include mail servers and anonymous uucp topics as well. The comments
>have sort of ftp this and ftp that.

From the CFD:
# Examples of potential topics to be discussed in comp.archives.d :
#

Ed Vielmetti writes in article <EMV.91Mar18215712@poe.aa.ox.com>

David Datta writes in article <10360@uwm.edu>
#
#        A Generic FTP-How To
#        Normalizing/genericizing archive structures

... as well as two other methods that have not been brought up yet,
UUCP and NFS accessable archives and the methods for establishing
and maintaining them.

The idea is to discuss archives in general, FTP, UUCP, NFS, Mail-based
servers.  It is not focused on a single type of archive access.  Many
maintain archives as corporate resources with no external access outside
of their companies.  All are welcomed to participate. I hope this clarifies
any confusion on the focus of the group.

			-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent
Phone:    (402) 291-8300         FAX:      (402) 291-4362
Please send comp.sources.misc-related mail to kent@uunet.uu.net.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/26/91)

I hope the proposed comp.archives.d isn't treated by the readers as another
comp.sources.wanted.  The last thing most archive administrators need
is a steady stream of messages asking if such-and-such program is in
their archives, when the user could find out by downloading the latest
index of said archive.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (03/26/91)

In article <5521@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>I hope the proposed comp.archives.d isn't treated by the readers as another
>comp.sources.wanted.  The last thing most archive administrators need
>is a steady stream of messages asking if such-and-such program is in
>their archives, when the user could find out by downloading the latest
>index of said archive.
>
>Keith

I've lost the original message, but wasn't the proposal for a moderated
group?  If not, it should be.  That would keep the group as one strictly
for discussion of archive maintenance, and filter out requests for
programs, etc.

Scott D. Coulter				"Nose against the grindstone,
scott@cc.gatech.edu				 it feels real good; watch out!
Georgia Tech Software Research Center		 it's Dog Eat Dog..."   Weird Al