[news.groups] Newsgroups to abate nuisance postings.

birchall@pilot.njin.net (Official Random) writes:

> Okay.... since all the people who post requests for dialup numbers in
> Alt.BBS.Internet _obviously_ don't take the time to read any of the
> posts asking them _not_ to do that, I am now officially requesting
> that we give them their very own newsgroup (unmoderated, of course) to
> trade their numbers in. [they also apparently didn't read any of the
> posts explaining better ways to get dialin numbers than asking people
> scattered around the country]

> Will some news admin somewhere please be so kind as to make an
> alt.dialup group so these _clueless_ people will get out of the hair
> of those of us who want to discuss Internet BBSes on Alt.BBS.Internet?

> Thanks

As long as we're into nuisance abatement newsgroups, would all you kind
system administrators not carrying alt.graphics.pixutils please find a
feed for it, and advertise it in cursive in your news startup banner
for, say, the next ten years or so, so I can stop reading requests for
GIF to TIFF converters in every third newsgroup on the net at least
weekly?

Sigh.

Hey, while I'm believing in the tooth fairy, how about if all the folks
who carry alt.sources start carrying alt.sources.d and software force
co-subscription by users, so there's better than 5% source postings in
alt.sources for a change?

Sigh again.

Trust me on this, nuisance abatement newsgroups work wonderfully, and
they work better, the more sysadmins who realize they perform a vitally
necessary service, rather than constitute an optional frill not worth
carrying.

I did my part, and comp.sys.amiga.advocacy has diverted some of the most
pointless computer brand partisian flame wars in posting history out of
the way of readers of the other Amiga groups. The style, volume, and
number of flames hasn't changed, merely their ability to do active harm.

Go thou and do likewise, other personal computer groups, other
beleaguered newsgroup participants. It's worth the effort of running a
vote to have your newsgroup back, its worth carrying the group and
paying the cost of the extra news spool directory to fence the goats
from the sheep.

Sysadmins, please help out.

Kent, the man from xanth.