[news.groups] Just when you thought is was safe....

conte@crest.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Conte) (04/26/91)

In article <4513@ryn.mro4.dec.com> taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber) writes:
>This is too, too rich --  today the ....hp48 and ...hp48.d groups showed
>up on my system.  But when I go look in comp.sys.handhelds, the hp95lx
>accounts for several hundred lines of postings (and it's only just been
>announced!)

Patrick, you betray your actual reason for advocating the comp.sys.handhelds
split.  Obviously, the HP-95LX is a handheld, and of course it is not related
to the HP-48SX.  This is an appropriate group for it to be discussed.  This
group was chartered for exactly such a machine.

Until some way-far advance in software happens, it is impossible to guarantee
any newsgroup will contain all the information interesting to the reader and
no more than that.  (If you read news.admin and news.groups you will discover
how difficult it is for the masses to understand this principle.)

------
Tom Conte	  Center for Reliable and High-Performance Computing
 conte@uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
		  Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour

taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.194605.11669@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu>,
conte@crest.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Conte) writes:

|>In article <4513@ryn.mro4.dec.com> taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick
|>St. Joseph Teahan Taber) writes:
|>>This is too, too rich --  today the ....hp48 and ...hp48.d groups
|>showed
|>>up on my system.  But when I go look in comp.sys.handhelds, the
|>hp95lx
|>>accounts for several hundred lines of postings (and it's only just
|>been
|>>announced!)
|>>

|>Patrick, you betray your actual reason for advocating the
|>comp.sys.handhelds
|>split.  Obviously, the HP-95LX is a handheld, and of course it is not
|>related
|>to the HP-48SX.  This is an appropriate group for it to be discussed.
|>This
|>group was chartered for exactly such a machine.
|>
|>Until some way-far advance in software happens, it is impossible to
|>guarantee
|>any newsgroup will contain all the information interesting to the
|>reader and
|>no more than that.  (If you read news.admin and news.groups you will
|>discover
|>how difficult it is for the masses to understand this principle.)

What a fascinating response.  I advocated the split?  Silly me.  I
thought I argued (and voted) against it.  I especially argued against
splitting along the lines of a single calculator model from a single
manufacturer.  Which is why I find it funny that the group is buried in
hp95 articles on the very day it seemed to spin off the hp48 for the
crime of causing too many articles.

As it happens, I was mistaken -- the split has apparently been flubbed.
According to a note posted to comp.sys.hp48.d there is some problem
getting the group approved.  The groups may yet appear under some other
name. (Somehow that seems, to me, to violate the idea of the vote -- but
who cares, right?)

--
                                             >>>==>PStJTT
                                     Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber, KC1TD

"Nerd" is so demeaning, I prefer "fashion-impared."