[news.groups] PPP: Let's create comp.protocols.ppp

dank@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Daniel R. Kegel) (04/17/91)

PPP is the successor to SLIP, and will soon become a household word
for anyone connecting to a TCP/IP LAN over a modem.
Let's create comp.protocols.ppp.
- Dan Kegel (dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov)

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (04/18/91)

dank> Article-I.D.: nntp-ser.1991Apr16.230204.7500

dank> PPP is the successor to SLIP, and will soon become a household word
dank> for anyone connecting to a TCP/IP LAN over a modem.
dank> Let's create comp.protocols.ppp.
dank> - Dan Kegel (dank@blacks.jpl.nasa.gov)

I second this motion.

	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (04/19/91)

I would name it comp.protocols.serial-internetworking.  It is rather
long but it is more descriptive and it can encompass SLIP, PPP,
routing issues, dial-up IP, etc.  I wouldn't want to give the
appearance of being only for PPP.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN                              Telebit Corporation
Network Systems Architect                        1315 Chesapeake Terrace

jeff@onion.rain.com (Jeff Beadles) (04/21/91)

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:

>I would name it comp.protocols.serial-internetworking.  It is rather
>long but it is more descriptive and it can encompass SLIP, PPP,
>routing issues, dial-up IP, etc.  I wouldn't want to give the
>appearance of being only for PPP.

Bleep.  Wrong answer. :-)

Newsgroup name components may not exceed 14 characters.  There are still a lot
of older versions of Unix out there that don't support any more than 14
character file/directory names.  (sigh)

The 'serial-internetworking' portion far exceeds this limit.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@onion.rain.com

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.052511.22841@onion.rain.com> jeff@onion.rain.com (Jeff Beadles) writes:
>brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:
>>
>>I would name it comp.protocols.serial-internetworking.  It is rather
>>long but it is more descriptive and it can encompass SLIP, PPP,
>>routing issues, dial-up IP, etc.  I wouldn't want to give the
>>appearance of being only for PPP.
>
>Bleep.  Wrong answer. :-)
>
>Newsgroup name components may not exceed 14 characters.  There are still a lot
>of older versions of Unix out there that don't support any more than 14
>character file/directory names.  (sigh)

	Another problem with this name is the insinuation that lines that
don't use multipin D connectors are somehow not serial. How is Ethernet
inherently less serial than EIA-232D?

	I'd suggest comp.protocols.internet.eia, to be used for discussion
of protocols for internetworking machines using EIA-XXX interfaces and
voiceband/leased-line analog modems.

	This would clear the way for the future creation of comp.protocols.
internet.isdn, comp.protocols.internet.sonet, and the ilk.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"Do you think I care? ... I have an infinite amount of money."	-Bill Gates

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (04/23/91)

I don't care what it is called.  And yes, I did forget that some
systems can't handle more than 14 character filenames.  I just didn't
want it to be named comp.protocols.ppp unless it is strictly for PPP.
If it is going to cover the issues of serial internetworking
(encompassing SLIP, PPP, dial-up internetworking, etc.) then perhaps
the name should be more descriptive.

Since I have seen several, "the name is too long," messages but no,
"how about naming it comp.protocols.foobar instead," messages, perhaps
I should take another shot at it.  How about
comp.protocols.serial-inet?
--

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/23/91)

> comp.protocols.internet.eia, EIA-XXX interfaces and voiceband /
> leased-line analog modems

PPP runs on both async and sync lines.  EIA is more meaningless even
than PPP as an acronym.

--Ed

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (04/24/91)

[Text deleted - CDS]

jeff> Bleep.  Wrong answer. :-)

jeff> Newsgroup name components may not exceed 14 characters.  There
jeff> are still a lot of older versions of Unix out there that don't
jeff> support any more than 14 character file/directory names.  (sigh)

jeff> The 'serial-internetworking' portion far exceeds this limit.

How about ser-inet?

jeff> 	-Jeff
jeff> --

In article <EMV.91Apr23040707@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
> > comp.protocols.internet.eia, EIA-XXX interfaces and voiceband /
> > leased-line analog modems
> PPP runs on both async and sync lines.  EIA is more meaningless even
> than PPP as an acronym.

Yeah. What's wrong with comp.protocols.serial? The *protocols* here are
serial, even if they run over parallel or asynchronous lines.

---Dan

jessea@homecare.uucp (Jesse W. Asher) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr22.220622.7421@telebit.com>, brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) wrote the following:
>Since I have seen several, "the name is too long," messages but no,
>"how about naming it comp.protocols.foobar instead," messages, perhaps
>I should take another shot at it.  How about
>comp.protocols.serial-inet?

I like this - it is a compromise between serial, ppp, and the others
that have been posted.  This one has my vote!

--
      Jesse W. Asher        NIC Handle:  JA268         Phone: (901)386-5061
                       Health Sphere of America Inc.

warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) (04/25/91)

Well when the voting comes aroud I'd like to see comp.protocols.ppp as my
first choice and comp.protocols.serial-net as a second choice. More and
more people will be turning to ppp and there will be comp.protocols.ppp to
help spread the word.

I'd vote yes.
--
+  Dan Warburton   Nas Simulation Support Facility (NSSF)
+                  Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center

dave@fps.com (Dave Smith) (04/25/91)

PPP really reflects what we want the group to be about, LAN interconnection.
Unfortunately it is also the name of an already established protocol.
How about comp.protocols.inter-tie?

--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego        ucsd!celit!dave or dave@fps.com

david@indetech.com (David Kuder x2003) (04/30/91)

In article <3884@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>	Another problem with this name is the insinuation that lines that
>don't use multipin D connectors are somehow not serial. How is Ethernet
>inherently less serial than EIA-232D?

I've left my references at home, but please try to find a Tanenbaum.
He goes into great detail why ethernet isn't just serial.  It is a
packet medium on a broadcast wire with collision detection.  You can
drag in the heirarchical model of your choice and work out which bits
fit where, but the serial bit ordering of ethernet is a small part
compared to EIA-@#@D.

The serialness you seem to see in these protocols can be found in
every protocol.  The arrow of time is a work in them all.  A "parallel"
printer port is actually byte serial.  Disk buses are byte or word
serial during transfers.  As long as we're moving something from one
place to another one will follow the other at some level.

>	I'd suggest comp.protocols.internet.eia, to be used for discussion
>of protocols for internetworking machines using EIA-XXX interfaces and
>voiceband/leased-line analog modems.

But EIA means nothing at all to me.  Couldn't whoever EIA are do
something other than RS-232 type standards (like BNC)?  I don't think
EIA is any improvement over PPP.

>	This would clear the way for the future creation of comp.protocols.
>internet.isdn, comp.protocols.internet.sonet, and the ilk.

To the best of my knowledge PPP could run over ISDN, SONET and frame
relay.  Maybe not well.  But PPP is designed to provide Point to Point
connections over low speed asynchronous serial links as well as medium
(56Kb) to high speed synchronous serial links (T1).  Feel free to prove
me wrong in comp.protocols.ppp.
--
David A. Kuder              Looking for enough time to get past patchlevel 1
415 438-2003  david@indetech.com  {uunet,sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david