[news.groups] Proposal for comp.graphics.research newsgroup

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (04/27/91)

Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.

I propose the establish the newsgroup:

	comp.graphics.research

to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.

Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
developments in computer graphics, aren't there?

Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com

 turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:

> Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought
> about unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are
> interesting.

I long ago did; I found I was writing higher level stuff than I was reading.

> I propose the establish the newsgroup:

> comp.graphics.research

> to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research
> nature.

Sigh.  It would be nice.

> Certainly there must be other people who are interested in
> state-of-the-art developments in computer graphics, aren't there?

Yes.

> Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all get
> a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.

If it isn't moderated, it's a waste of time creating the group; it will
still be mostly postings from kids wanting help with their homework.

Kent, the man from xanth.

hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Steve Hollasch) (04/27/91)

(
( I propose the establish the newsgroup:
(
(     comp.graphics.research
(
( to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.
(
( Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
( developments in computer graphics, aren't there?
(
( Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
( get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.

    This discussion seems to come up about once a year, but has always
fizzled out for some reason.  Personally, I think it's a great idea.
However, you say that you don't find any of the articles in comp.graphics
interesting.  I hope you're exaggerating, because you don't create
"interesting" articles by creating a new newsgroup for them.  You really
need to have the articles and interest already present, then you create
the new newsgroup to divert the traffic for better categorization of
topics.

    What usually happens with this discussion is that someone tosses up
the idea of an algorithms-oriented newsgroup (in your case,
"comp.graphics.research", in the past "comp.graphics.theory", also
suggested "comp.graphics.algorithms").  Then someone suggests that we
create a separate newsgroup for the disussion of graphics formats.  Then
someone suggests that we create "comp.graphics.ibm", then
"comp.graphics.art", then ...

    The main plea of this response is to curb any tendency to propose a
conglomeration of seventeen comp.graphics subgroups and subsequently
quash interest because of the newfound complexity.

    This idea has been proposed to death.  It's a good idea.  Let's PLEASE
discuss this _one_ newsgroup and put it up to a vote.  If we also need
comp.graphics.formats & friends, we can also discuss this -- IN THE
FUTURE.

>I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
>	comp.graphics.research
>
>to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.
>
>Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
>developments in computer graphics, aren't there?
>
>Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
>get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.
>--

Even as a 'user' I'd like to see this happen.  One of the reasons I
subscribed to comp.graphics was because of the high quality of postings
on current work in the field.  Over the last year or so it has degraded
into discussions on file formats and public domain raytracers -- both
noble pursuits, but not generally interesting.  I'd like to see a moderated
newsgroup, of the same sort of quality as the Ray Tracing News by
Eric Haines.  A moderated group though would give better turnaround
time and (hopefully) generate more interesting discussion.

I'm all for it -- Just as rec.humor.funny was born, perhaps it's time for
comp.graphics.interesting, or comp.graphics.signal and comp.graphics.noise.
Seriously, though, comp.graphics.research isn't a bad name.  What do
you think ? Moderated or not ?

--
     ll  // // ,~/~~\'   David Rowley
    /ll/// //l' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

sundar@ai.mit.edu (Sundar Narasimhan) (04/27/91)

In article <13207@goofy.Apple.COM>, turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
|> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
|> 	comp.graphics.research

I think this is a very good idea. It seems to me, however, that
research issues of interest to the graphics community will also be of
interest to others who work in computational geometry, cad/cam, solid
modeling etc. IMHO, I'd like to see a group that addresses the common
need of all these groups.

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) (04/28/91)

I vote for it.  Moderated, as people say, charter: discussion of
computer graphics algorithms.

Who'll bell the cat?  (In other words, who'll moderate it?)
                                         ____
\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk \  /
/\__/ Part straight. Part gay. All queer. \/

fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) (04/28/91)

OK, I'll vote for this (it should not, however, be construed as a snub
against comp.graphics, just that a more focused subgroup would help).

tuna@lcs.mit.edu (Kirk 'UhOh' Johnson) (04/28/91)

turk@apple.com writes:

    Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have
    thought about unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the
    articles are interesting.

    I propose the establish the newsgroup:

    comp.graphics.research

    to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research
    nature.

sounds like a good idea to me; i'd vote for it.

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG adds:

    If it isn't moderated, it's a waste of time creating the group; it
    will still be mostly postings from kids wanting help with their
    homework.

kent may have a point here. anybody who has the time interested in
moderating?

kirk

kirk johnson                                           `Eat blue dogs
tuna@lcs.mit.edu                                        and dig life.'

burton@latcs2.lat.oz.au (Jamez de Coilier) (04/28/91)

In <1991Apr27.043254.16155@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>,
	I could have sworn xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) managed to say:

> turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>
>> Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought
>> about unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are
>> interesting.
>
>I long ago did; I found I was writing higher level stuff than I was reading.
>
>> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
>> comp.graphics.research
>
>> to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research
>> nature.
>
>Sigh.  It would be nice.
>
>> Certainly there must be other people who are interested in
>> state-of-the-art developments in computer graphics, aren't there?

	I'm sure there are plenty.But what is contained in 'Computer
Graphics' and what is not.Some of the most interesting work goes into
ares that border on not being considered CG. I'm thinking about
hypertext/hypermedia , CASE and vision processing systems.

		Any worries about lack of traffic for the proposed group
should be allayed by the probable truth of the remark that prospective
users are now put off by people asking for gif formats and the like.
( phew , that one took me 20 minutes )
>Yes.
>
>> Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all get
>> a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.
>
>If it isn't moderated, it's a waste of time creating the group; it will
>still be mostly postings from kids wanting help with their homework.

	I can't agree with moderation, surely free form discussion is what
is lacking at the moment.

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

	James Burton, LaTrobe University, Melbourne.

jk87377@cc.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) (04/28/91)

Turkowski) writes:
>Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
>unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.
>
>	comp.graphics.research
>to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.

Good idea.
Please, people, do not suggest any other group; we don't need any
comp.graphics.pics.gif, etc. news group debate and flame war.
Don't we?

Of course, you can suggest to subdivide the comp.graphics news group
to, say, ten new news groups - but, think about what happened last
time we tryed to make several news groups instead of one: We didn't
get any new newsgroups.

What we should write in this new group?
We do not send requests or pictures to it, at least.
We do not discuss about making or installing the image processing
package (gif, tiff, discussions) -- there's alt.pixutils for that
and that all is 'old' stuff anyway.

We do discuss about new algorithms including all computer graphics
fields. Maybe we keep the level of the talkings high -- at the
SIGGRAPH level at least.
Unfortunately, nobody do would like to discuss about really new and
future research - so, we might realize that and just talk about what
is published allready.
For keeping the level of the articles high, this news group should be
moderated. Otherwise someone will anyway post requests to that
group just because readers, *guess*, know more about CG than readers
of the comp.graphics.
But, there's problems in moderated news group, so, we might just
selfmoderate and think about what to post and what not.

If the level of the topics is reasonable high and interesting enough,
there could be more professionals reading this group.

Juhana Kouhia

drw900@anusf.anu.edu.au ("Drew R Whitehouse") (04/29/91)

In article <13207@goofy.Apple.COM>, turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
|> Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
|> unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.
|>
|> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
|>
|> 	comp.graphics.research
|>
|> to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.
|>
|> Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
|> developments in computer graphics, aren't there?
|>
|> Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
|> get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.
|> --
|> Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA

	I would definitely like this, a group where you don't get
posts like -

 How do I convert image format X into image format Y......
 How do I animate gif images on my super duper VGA++ ......etc etc

								Drew

// Drew Whitehouse,                E-mail:  drw900@anusf.anu.edu.au
// Visualization Group,            Fax   : +61 (0)6 247 3425
// Australian National University, Phone : +61 (0)6 249 5985
// Supercomputer Facility.
// GPO Box 4, Canberra ACT Australia 2601.

msr@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Srinivas R. Manapragada) (04/29/91)

Yes it is time to diversify the comp.graphics group. I really am tired of the
number of articles asking for gif viewers, and the flaming over book reviews.

	comp.graphics.research		GOOD IDEA, the contents of the articles
					must be research oriented.

How about a group for those interested in 3d graphics?

	comp.graphics.3d		Articles devoted to 3d graphics, eg.
					flight simulation, volume rendering etc.

_Srini_

guenter@prism.gatech.EDU (Brian Guenter) (04/29/91)

I would also be interested in such a newgroup. For purposes of research
comp.graphics has much too high a noise to signal ratio these days.
--
Brian Guenter
College of Computing

mkibler@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Michael K. Kibler) (04/29/91)

Count me in. Moderated or not.

I missed just one week and had to sift through 400 messages.
--
 ---- Mike  ( ~~ Radiosity is more than just heat! )
 Michael K. Kibler        INTERNET:  mkibler@eecs.wsu.edu

whb@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (04/29/91)

Good idea - but would it not be better to break comp.graphics into more than
one sub-group ?  eg

    comp.graphics.3d
    comp.graphics.formats  etc.

A poll would return an indication of what type of groups people wanted.
Although many groups would be suggested it shouldn't be difficult to come up
with a sensible compromise.

On a slightly different topic, main main interest is image processing.
I am pissed of with subject matter being scattered in :
   comp.graphics
   comp.ai.vision
   comp.dsp
   comp.compression

Anyone else feel the same way ?
If so any suggestions ?

Henry Bruce.

gpraman@sdrc.COM (Raman Srinivasan) (04/29/91)

In article <13207@goofy.Apple.COM>, turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:

> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
> 	comp.graphics.research

  Good idea! I'm all for it.

mam@hutcs.hut.fi (Martti M{ntyl{) (04/29/91)

I for one vote for the establishment of a research-oriented group.

Martti Mantyla
--
Martti Mantyla					Tel. +358-0-451-3230 (office)
Laboratory of Information Processing Science	            692-6964 (home)

psantan@alias.uucp (Peter Santangeli) (04/29/91)

> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
> 	comp.graphics.research
> Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
> get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.

Please, Please.... lets do this! Also, is there some kind soul
(working for an even kinder company...) that could moderate it?

Pete

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (04/30/91)

In article <9920@castle.ed.ac.uk>, whb@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
> Good idea - but would it not be better to break comp.graphics into more than
> one sub-group ?  eg
>
>     comp.graphics.3d
>     comp.graphics.formats  etc.

It'll be much easier to get those of us interested in research topics
to move into a new group, than it would ever be to get all the
GIF-TIFF-BIFF people moved into a new group to discuss what they
have no trouble discussing right here. Excuse the run-on sentence.

I think comp.graphics.research is what is needed.

What happens next, CFD?
--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com
		Evans & Sutherland

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (04/30/91)

I'm for the new group.  .research sounds like a good name.  I think the
"right" moderator would be a great benefit to the rest of us.

And I'd also like to keep the discussion limited to this one group until
it is settled, then open up for others if other folks want that.

Sam Uselton		uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA (Ames)		speaking for myself

PS Alain - we KNOW you would never intend to offend anyone here.
Good seeing you on the net.

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (04/30/91)

In article <13207@goofy.Apple.COM>, turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
|> Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
|> unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.
|>
|> I propose the establish the newsgroup:
|>
|> 	comp.graphics.research
|>
|> to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.

Yes, yes, yes!

--
Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	"What kind of a woman would date a gangster?"

			- Mama Terranova

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (04/30/91)

In article <13207@goofy.Apple.COM> turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
>unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.
>
>I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
>	comp.graphics.research
>
>to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.
>
>Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
>developments in computer graphics, aren't there?

YES!  I am interested!  There's got to be more going on in graphics today
than virtual reality and standards definitions.  What's the latest in
advances in photorealism?  How about automation of the animation of human
figures and facial expressions?  Parallel graphics processors on a chip,
relativistic ray tracing, rendering the surface characteristics of flesh,
and much else.
ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron

In article <9104270854.AA10131@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Steve Hollasch) writes:
turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:

>> I propose the establish the newsgroup:

>> comp.graphics.research

> you don't create "interesting" articles by creating a new newsgroup
> for them

No, but you lure back the people who have interesting things to say by
weeding out the trash that drove them away.  That's why I strongly advocate
moderation for the new group.

> What usually happens with this discussion is that ... Then someone
> suggests that we create a separate newsgroup for the disussion of
> graphics formats.

This is a solved problem, if people would just adopt the solution.

EVERYONE READING THIS IN COMP.GRAPHICS, WRITE A NOTE TO YOUR SYSTEMS
ADMINISTRATORS ASKING THAT THEY GET A FEED FOR alt.graphics.pixutils,
A GROUP DEDICATED TO TALKING ABOUT GRAPHICS FORMATS, SO THAT THAT
DISCUSSION CAN BE MOVED OUT OF COMP.GRAPHICS.  DO IT _RIGHT_ _NOW_.

Isn't that easy?

> Let's PLEASE discuss this _one_ newsgroup and put it up to a vote.

Sure, sure.  What it takes is one strong hand to run a vote through
for whatever's needed.  You just need someone who will keep at the
job until it is done _right_.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

fmhv@minerva.inesc.pt (Fernando Manuel Vasconcelos) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.104754@anusf.anu.edu.au> drw900@anusf.anu.edu.au writes:

>	I would definitely like this, a group where you don't get
>posts like -
>
> How do I convert image format X into image format Y......
> How do I animate gif images on my super duper VGA++ ......etc etc
>

>								Drew
>
>// Drew Whitehouse,                E-mail:  drw900@anusf.anu.edu.au

I personaly find that no subject is uninteresting by itself. Agreed some
people do post without a second thought, and thus contibute to a noise level
higher then necessary, but that's live ... I mean by this that as long as
the subject line agrees with the contents with the posting, and with the field
of interest of the group no one should complain about it.

For instance I am not at all interested in " How do I convert image format X
into image format Y" so I wouldn't read any article with that subject line.

I find that building a new newsgroup with the purpose of preventing some type
of posting is generally a bad idea. Anyway if it isn't moderated the posting
will appear, regardless of the group's name.

In short, if the motivation for the group is a feeling that the actual traffic
of comp.graphics is too high ( which maybe true ) I'd say YES for
comp.graphics.research . If the motivation is only to prevent "uninteresting"
postings I would say NO. For that purpose I find that the faq plays a better
role ...

--
Fernando Manuel Hourtiguet de Vasconcelos  INESC - Instituto de Engenharia de
fmhv@inesc.inesc.pt                                Sistemas e Computadores

jef@ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer) (05/01/91)

In the referenced message, fmhv@minerva.inesc.pt (Fernando Manuel Vasconcelos) wrote:
}I find that building a new newsgroup with the purpose of preventing some type
}of posting is generally a bad idea. Anyway if it isn't moderated the posting
}will appear, regardless of the group's name.

Yes.

}                         If the motivation is only to prevent "uninteresting"
}postings I would say NO. For that purpose I find that the faq plays a better
}role ...

No.  This is a common misconception about the FAQ.  It has nothing to do
with preventing bozo postings, because bozos don't read it.  All it is
for is giving the rest of us a valid excuse for ignoring the bozos.

Bozo postings are a fact of life.  They are not going to go away.
Quite the contrary, as the net continues to expand both in absolute
size and in relative demographics, the bozo problem will get much
worse.  The way to solve it is to get a better newsreader.

Making subgroups can be a good idea on its own merits.  "Research"
seems like a reasonable sub-topic.  Maybe it's also time to bring the
pixutils group into the comp hierarchy.  But don't imagine that either
group will do anything to get the bozos out of comp.graphics.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
                      "Tenser, said the tensor."

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (05/01/91)

In article<13207@goofy.Apple.COM> turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>	comp.graphics.research

I like the idea, but I am not thrilled with moderated groups. Moderation
tends to stifle free interchange of ideas (by bogging the discussion down
with moderation delay), not too mention the problem of finding a moderator
that has all that free time. I would propose creating an un-moderated
comp.graphics.research and if everyone's fears of "mutant image format
conversion junkies from hell" are realized by rampant cross posting, then
we could convert to moderated.

What do ya think?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) (05/01/91)

	I'm for it too.  Put my vote in. comp.graphics.research = YES.

                                        William Dee Rieken
                                        Researcher, Computer Visualization
                                        Faculty of Science and Technology
                                        Ryukoku University
                                        Seta, Otsu 520-21,
                                        Japan

                                        Tel: 0775-43-7418(direct)
                                        Fax: 0775-43-7749
                                        will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp

uad1077@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) (05/04/91)

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:

>Even though I work in the field of computer graphics, I have thought about
>unsubscribing to comp.graphics because none of the articles are interesting.

>I propose the establish the newsgroup:

>	comp.graphics.research

>to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.

>Certainly there must be other people who are interested in state-of-the-art
>developments in computer graphics, aren't there?

>Please post your interest to this newsgroup, so that we might all
>get a feel for the number of doers vs. users out there.
>--
>Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
>Internet: turk@apple.com
>Applelink: TURK
>UUCP: sun!apple!turk

I'd go along with that.  However, something along the lines of
comp.graphics.experts might be better.  There are interesting topics
that aren't necessarily research (esp. for someone like me who has
to code fast just to keep ahead of the bailiff's).  What I suspect
you are really talking about is filtering out the ``how to read
mumble format images'' stuff.  Maybe we could hive off a
comp.graphics.q&a instead?

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May03.180954.3554@dircon.co.uk> uad1077@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) writes:

>I'd go along with that.  However, something along the lines of
>comp.graphics.experts might be better.  There are interesting topics
>that aren't necessarily research (esp. for someone like me who has
>to code fast just to keep ahead of the bailiff's).  What I suspect
>you are really talking about is filtering out the ``how to read
>mumble format images'' stuff.  Maybe we could hive off a
>comp.graphics.q&a instead?

Comp.graphics.experts is, in my opinion, a terrible name. Where do you
think the "how to read mumble format images" notes would get posted - in
plain old c.g? or in c.g.experts, where you can find all the 'experts' on
important graphics issues like the format of [A-Z]IF* files and displaying
them on your VT-100. I still vote for c.g.research, because I think a
word like 'research' in the title makes it a little more clear what the
group is *NOT* about...

And I still vote for moderation.

(only with regard to the proposed newsgroup, though.. ;-) )

>Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
>18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP
>Biggleswade                       ukc!dircon!uad1077
>Beds SG18 8HZ United Kingdom    uad1077@dircon.co.uk

--
*Standard Disclaimers Apply*|        ---Get Out Of HELL Free!---
John R. Murray              |The bearer of this card is entitled to forgive

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May03.180954.3554@dircon.co.uk> uad1077@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) writes:
>turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>>I propose the establish the newsgroup:
>
>>	comp.graphics.research
>
>>to re-establish a forum for technical discussions of a research nature.
>I'd go along with that.  However, something along the lines of
>comp.graphics.experts might be better. ...

comp.graphics.experts is pure newbie bait.

I'd vote for research, though.

Followups to news.groups.

							spl (the p stands for
							perhaps you're thinking
							of proposing
							comp.graphics.wizards
							next? :-) )
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943