[news.groups] split up comp.sys.next

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (04/25/91)

nates@sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.EDU (Nate Sammons) writes:

>  Since there are over a hundred messages per day going through good 'ol
>comp.sys.next   what about splitting it into several sub-groups like
>comp.sys.next.prog  and comp.sys.next.misc  or something like that...

Geez, I'm glad I found your messages in ALL THE OTHER TRAFFIC in comp.sys.next
today.  I was just about to use good old Pnews to post a NEW message of my own
suggesting the very same thing!!  Then I saw your message.

Not that this should have any other implications :-) but...
I suggest following what the comp.sys.mac group did - split into several
subgroups.  We could create the following groups:

comp.sys.next.announce	Important notices for NeXT users. (Moderated)
comp.sys.next.apps	Discussions of NeXT applications.
comp.sys.next.comm	Discussion of NeXT communications.
comp.sys.next.hardware	NeXT hardware issues & discussions.
comp.sys.next.misc	General discussions about the NeXT.
comp.sys.next.programmer Discussion by people programming the NeXT.
comp.sys.next.system	Discussions of NeXT system software.
comp.sys.next.wanted	Postings of "I want XYZ for my NeXT."

Perhaps a better name could be suggested for "comp.sys.next.system", but I
think it should stay in the "comp.sys.next" hierarchy rather than be shoved
off to something like "comp.unix.next" (just as "comp.sys.mac.system" was not
called "comp.os.mac").

I have never created a group before, and don't know what the proper procedures
etc. are for discussion and voting, but I move that this be taken as the
beginning of a discussion, and perhaps we should also start cross-posting to
news.groups?  Does someone with newsgroup creation experience want to take
over the discussion from here?

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (04/29/91)

How about comp.sys.next.advocacy to get the risc-versus-cisc and
next-versus-sparcstation flame wars out of comp.sys.amiga.advocacy?
--
               (peter@taronga.hackercorp.com)
   `-_-'

> peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> How about comp.sys.next.advocacy to get the risc-versus-cisc and
> next-versus-sparcstation flame wars out of comp.sys.amiga.advocacy?

No particular reason one end of that cross-posted flame war can't stay
in c.s.a.advocacy where it belongs, but I'll bet the NeXT folks would
_love_ to have a c.s.n.advocacy to get it out of their main reading
material, like we have.

[ You mean you actually _read_ c.s.a.advocacy, Peter?  ;-) ]

Kent, the man from xanth.

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (04/30/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> > peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > How about comp.sys.next.advocacy to get the risc-versus-cisc and
> > next-versus-sparcstation flame wars out of comp.sys.amiga.advocacy?

> No particular reason one end of that cross-posted flame war can't stay
> in c.s.a.advocacy where it belongs,

Kent, because you didn't bother creating a group for discussing the
Amiga's future, OS concerns, etc...  there are actual discussions in
c.s.a.advocacy. There is no reason to keep either end of a RISC versus
CISC or other NeXT versus whatever war in an Amiga group.

> [ You mean you actually _read_ c.s.a.advocacy, Peter?  ;-) ]

Yes. I really do. When I get time. Which these days is mostly devoted
to trying to convince certain people that shooting themselves in the
foot is a very bad idea.
--

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Grouchy Smurf) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.064449.18530@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>> peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>> How about comp.sys.next.advocacy to get the risc-versus-cisc and
>> next-versus-sparcstation flame wars out of comp.sys.amiga.advocacy?
>
>No particular reason one end of that cross-posted flame war can't stay
>in c.s.a.advocacy where it belongs, but I'll bet the NeXT folks would
>_love_ to have a c.s.n.advocacy to get it out of their main reading
>material, like we have.

argh! no no no no no! the Next vs. any_computer_other_than_amiga doesnt belong
here no matter how that thread got here. make a csn.advocacy group so those
stupid flames/arguments/threads could go in another group. I dont mind the Next
comparisions with the amiga but im NOT interested in RISC vs CISC that always
come up when Next is mentioned.

>[ You mean you actually _read_ c.s.a.advocacy, Peter?  ;-) ]
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

This is a test
sig under construction

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (05/03/91)

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Grouchy Smurf) writes:
>argh! no no no no no! the Next vs. any_computer_other_than_amiga doesnt belong
>here no matter how that thread got here. make a csn.advocacy group so those
>stupid flames/arguments/threads could go in another group. I dont mind the Next
>comparisions with the amiga but im NOT interested in RISC vs CISC that always
>come up when Next is mentioned.

Why not?  This happens to be the only newsgroup in existence dedicated to,
and encouraging, computer wars.  I don't mind seeing non-Amiga comparisons
here.  To me, this newsgroup is educational and fun.  It's a lot more
enjoyable, IMHO, to learn about other systems in a forum like this, than
in the newsgroups dedicated to those systems, because _here_ you have people
bent on "educating" others, while other newsgroups already assume a
familiarity with the particular computer being discussed.

<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> wrote:
>>[ You mean you actually _read_ c.s.a.advocacy, Peter?  ;-) ]

Well, *I* do, for the reasons I outlined above.  This is becoming one of
my favorite newsgroups.

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.144852.7933@bilver.uucp> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:

>Why not?  This happens to be the only newsgroup in existence dedicated to,
>and encouraging, computer wars.  I don't mind seeing non-Amiga comparisons
>here.  To me, this newsgroup is educational and fun.  It's a lot more

BZZZT WRONG! alt.religion.computers is for those other computer
wars, and it has been around longer than this group.  A.R.C is the
place to read about why AIX sucks.  C.S.A.A is the place to read why
everything besides the Amiga sucks, and to bitch about the Amiga not
being even more superior.

Rick

_____________________________.sig____________________________________
The generic .sig          Rick Blewitt     rblewitt@ucsd.edu

In article <1991May3.144852.7933@bilver.uucp> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:
> Why not?  This happens to be the only newsgroup in existence dedicated to,
> and encouraging, computer wars.

How about alt.religion.computers?

If you want generic computer wars, that's the place. This place is for
Amiga wars and Amiga futures stuff.

(time for comp.sys.misc.advocacy, I think)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.144852.7933@bilver.uucp> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:
>sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Grouchy Smurf) writes:
>>argh! no no no no no! the Next vs. any_computer_other_than_amiga doesnt belong
>>here no matter how that thread got here. make a csn.advocacy group so those
>>stupid flames/arguments/threads could go in another group. I dont mind the Next
>>comparisions with the amiga but im NOT interested in RISC vs CISC that always
>>come up when Next is mentioned.
>
>Why not?  This happens to be the only newsgroup in existence dedicated to,
>and encouraging, computer wars.  I don't mind seeing non-Amiga comparisons
>here.  To me, this newsgroup is educational and fun.  It's a lot more
>enjoyable, IMHO, to learn about other systems in a forum like this, than
>in the newsgroups dedicated to those systems, because _here_ you have people
>bent on "educating" others, while other newsgroups already assume a
>familiarity with the particular computer being discussed.

If you are going to have computer wars in this group, the amiga should be one
of the competators. If mike melling <sp?> wants to see Next vs. Mac // or
vs. sparc, then make a next.advocacy group or Mac.advocacy since those
comparisons have little to do with the amiga per se. I wouldnt mind seeing
them, just not here. In CSnext.advocacy, yes. Not here. I want to see Amiga
comparisons.t
3fg

><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> wrote:
>>>[ You mean you actually _read_ c.s.a.advocacy, Peter?  ;-) ]
>
>Well, *I* do, for the reasons I outlined above.  This is becoming one of
>my favorite newsgroups.
>
>--
> _ |__  Alex Matulich
> /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817
>//| \     UUCP:  alex@bilver.uucp   <or>  ...uunet!tarpit!bilver!alex
>///__)     bitnet:  IN%"bilver!alex@uunet.uu.net"

**********************************PiRho****************************************
"All power comes from the barrel of a gun"  //
sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu            \\ // Amiga makes it possible
                                         \X/

 peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:

>> Why not? This happens to be the only newsgroup in existence dedicated
>> to, and encouraging, computer wars.

Actually not. c.s.a.advocacy is dedicated to removing existing computer
wars from the mainstream c.s.a.* groups, and it does that very well,
with some 80% or more of that traffic successfully diverted. People are
starting to _voluntarily_ divert emotion laden conversations to
c.s.a.advocacy, whick exceeds my fondest dreams for the group.

> How about alt.religion.computers?

Didn't work, while it existed the flamage still covered c.s.a.* like a
rug. People want to flame about the Amiga where they know Amiga users
are listening.

> If you want generic computer wars, that's the place. This place is for
> Amiga wars and Amiga futures stuff.

True, modulo the fact that most of those wars have a group for another
computer on the other side, so that we get spates of NeXt versus Amiga,
Atari versus Amiga, and IBM-PC clone versus Amiga. All those are OK, but
NeXt versus Sun versus DecStation wars are not welcome unless AmigaUX
gets in a few shots too.

(time for comp.sys.misc.advocacy, I think)

Won't work, for the same reason alt.religion.computers didn't. You need
an audience guarantee to filter the traffic into the group, and that
means you need the (micro) computer name in the newgroup name. It is
probably long overdue for comp.sys.{any_brand}.advocacy, though, as I'm
sure the other groups would like the effect as much as the Amiga groups
do; low flame mainline newsgroups are a wonderful benefit.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

jbell@gara.une.oz.au (Khyron) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May7.192731.5241@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, by xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan):

>  peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:
>
>                                                            /// It's Amiga
>                                                           /// for me:  why
> Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
> <xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
                                                           like IBM

    just face it amiga are the best

--
jbell@gara.une.oz.au          | Justin Bell                                     Uni of New England            | 2 Gill St                                                -Armidale            | Moonbi NSW 2353                                                               | AUSTRALIA

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (05/08/91)

In article <6294@gara.une.oz.au> jbell@gara.une.oz.au (Khyron) writes:

>    just face it amiga are the best

Yes, Amiga are the best...just keep repeating that to yourself,
as often as needed. BUT do it in an _Amiga_ newsgroup!
Please edit out the comp.sys.next  in the header.
c.s.next is not the place for the ``Amiga is better than NeXT''
secret to be told---we unfortunate NeXT users are not ready to
deal with this cruel fact.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (05/10/91)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
> Yes, Amiga are the best...just keep repeating that to yourself,
> as often as needed. BUT do it in an _Amiga_ newsgroup!

Be glad to. Tell the folks from comp.sys.next to quit flaming in
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.

This is getting to be a prime case of "blame the victim".
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  Taronga Park BBS  +1 713 568 0480 2400/n/8/1
 Taronga Park.    'U`       "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"