[news.groups] CFV: news.software.readers

Doug Sewell <DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu> (05/14/91)

Given that there's hardly been a peep in the last two weeks about
it, it appears we've reached some sort of consensus, based on the
most-recently-proposed charter.  So here's the call for votes,
based on the proposed charter:

Newsgroup news.software.readers is an unmoderated discussion for
newsreading software.

Potential topics for discussion include:
- rn and its variants
- tass
- xrn
- gnus
- Other platforms (Mac, MSDOS, VM)
- design issues - if you decide to write or significantly modify one.

Religious wars - rn vs nn, or gnus vs xrn - are not encouraged.

Technical issues about nn, notes, anu-news, and PSU NetNews will
probably find more answers in their respective newsgroups, but they
are not excluded from discussion here.
-end of charter-

Some comments:

The voting period will commence at 12:01am on Tuesday, May 14, 1991
and end at 11:59pm Tuesday June 11, 1991.

Votes should be sent to doug@ysub.ysu.edu (that's me).  Only votes
mailed to the voting address during the voting period will count.  In
particular, posted votes will not be counted.

Your vote should clearly state whether you are voting for or against
the newsgroup, preferably in the subject.  Votes will be hand-tallied.

All votes will be mass-acked several times during the voting period.

This vote will not affect the name or position of any other newsgroup,
due to the keep-it-simple-stupid rule.

Don't look to me for answers - I'm simply proposing this group as a
way to move news-reader traffic out of news.software.b.  I probably
know less than most readers of these forums about Unix news readers.

I will be collecting correct (as best as I can test, anyway) answers,
FTP sites, etc, for a monthly posting or FAQ.

Doug
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         doug@ysub.bitnet
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  doug@ysub.ysu.edu