[news.groups] The Great RFD csh HP48 split debate.

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B Streeter) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.072358.25227@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz (mier@spva.physics.imperial.ac.uk) writes:

>DISCUSSION - MY OPINIONS

>My personal preference is for a comp.sources.rpl group which would
>take the heaviest and largest postings off csh, while allowing general
>chat on the hp48 and other hp handhelds to remain on csh. Personally,
>I like csh as it is - it allows users of many different products to
>exchange information and opinions.

The idea of splitting off just "source" postings from
comp.sys.handhelds doesn't do much to alleviate the problem that you
address, namely that the HP48 traffic comprises 95+% of the traffic in
c.s.h, making other traffic very difficult to follow.  The reason for
this is that although the source postings comprise a large percentage
of the volume, they represent only a small number of the articles
posted to c.s.h.  The problem is that since a "sources" group would be
moderated (which has loads of advantages, like tested programs, and a
consistent posting format, and easy automated archival, etc), creation
of the sources group does not take ANY of the "discussion" away from
c.s.h, only the source postings.
--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter