[news.groups] Call for discussion : soc.culture.italian

marchi@gold.cchem.berkeley.edu (Massimo Marchi) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.210529.17071@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> ecaxron@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1991May11.191809.5062@news.iastate.edu>,
>     vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes...
>
>>In article <1991May10.234209.29308@cs.ucla.edu>
>     marino@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Fabio Marino) writes:
>
>>>I am hereby issuing a call for discussion on the creation of the
>>>newsgroup soc.culture.italian.  [...]
>
>[discussion of trial group deleted...]
>
>>The trial group presently carries a solid, though relatively small, core
>>of traffic, no doubt reflecting its narrow distribution base.  The value
>>of soc.culture.(european-countries) is already tested and proven, and
>>Italy is a major European country, socially, politically, economically,
>>and historically.  There is plenty of justification for creating such a
>>group without going through the vote process.
>
>Yeah, but if you create a group that way, it either has to be an alt.*
>group (in which case some sites will not receive it), or it may be ignored.
>The efficacy of a soc.culture.italian is not in question, in my mind,
>but if this group were to try to circumvent the Guidelines for New Group
>Creation, I, for one, would both vote and campaign against it.
>
>Everybody else either plays according to the rules (in this case, the
>Guidelines), or creates a trial group (as the original poster has done),
>or creates an alt. group.  You have to play by the rules too.  So there.
>
>>I support the call for discussion and believe that this should be moved
>>into the voting process as quickly as possible.
>
>While the Guidelines do not call out a minimum length for a discussion
>period (only a maximum of 30 days), I don't think it's a good idea to
>jump too fast into a vote, even if the proponents are getting anxious.
>Everybody else who goes through this waits a little while and goes through
>the process, and I'm certain this group can too.
>
>RG

I agree with You on the point we should go to a vote. I don't really
understand why it is not a good idea to jump too fast to a vote. Can You
enlighten us, please? After all a 5 month discussion is quite enough.

MM
Massimo Marchi Lewis-112                         marchi@gold.cchem.berkeley.edu
University of California at Berkeley             marchi@UCBCMSA.bitnet
Berkeley, CA 94720

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.210529.17071@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> ecaxron@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1991May11.191809.5062@news.iastate.edu>,
>     vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes...
>
>>The trial group presently carries a solid, though relatively small, core
>>of traffic, no doubt reflecting its narrow distribution base.  The value
>>of soc.culture.(european-countries) is already tested and proven, and
>>Italy is a major European country, socially, politically, economically,
>>and historically.  There is plenty of justification for creating such a
>>group without going through the vote process.
>

>Yeah, but if you create a group that way, it either has to be an alt.*
>group (in which case some sites will not receive it), or it may be ignored.
>The efficacy of a soc.culture.italian is not in question, in my mind,
>but if this group were to try to circumvent the Guidelines for New Group
>Creation, I, for one, would both vote and campaign against it.
>
>Everybody else either plays according to the rules (in this case, the
>Guidelines), or creates a trial group (as the original poster has done),
>or creates an alt. group.  You have to play by the rules too.  So there.
>
>>I support the call for discussion and believe that this should be moved
>>into the voting process as quickly as possible.
>
>While the Guidelines do not call out a minimum length for a discussion
>period (only a maximum of 30 days), I don't think it's a good idea to
>jump too fast into a vote, even if the proponents are getting anxious.
>Everybody else who goes through this waits a little while and goes through
>the process, and I'm certain this group can too.
>
>RG

Nobody is "circumventing" anything.  Nobody is suggesting
"circumventing" anything. Nobody is "anxious."  Nobody wants to get into
the alt. fray.  The call for discussion has gone out.  I expect to see a
call for vote in a timely manner.  In the meantime, the trial group will
continue business as usual for those who have or who can obtain access
to it.
--
Hank van Cleef
vancleef@iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.

sandra@bull.it (Sandra Farnedi) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May12.022921.13088@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>In article <1991May11.210529.17071@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> ecaxron@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>>In article <1991May11.191809.5062@news.iastate.edu>,
>>     vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes...
>>
>>>The trial group presently carries a solid, though relatively small, core
>>>of traffic, no doubt reflecting its narrow distribution base.  The value
There is also a distribution problem inside the trial.s.c.i itself because
I have noticed that I cannot receive all the articles of the newsgroup
but only a part of them. This fact doesn't allow me to completly listen
to a discussion  because I always miss some part of it. I cannot understand
the reason why, but this is the present situation in BULL Italy about the
newsgroup t.s.c.i. On the contrary I think I correctly receive all the
articles concerning the soc.culture.* hierarchy  and that is a good reason
for me to ask for the creation of the soc.culture.italian newsgroup.

>>>I support the call for discussion and believe that this should be moved
>>>into the voting process as quickly as possible.
I too.
>                                                       I expect to see a
>call for vote in a timely manner.
I too.
Just a question:
Is this the right group to speak Italian or shall I wait for the creation
of soc.culture.italian-language-only? I think that all the people who
participate  in this newsgroup should at least understand italian
so I think that everybody should be free to write in italian thinking
that everybody can understand. Moreover I would like that all
the people who can write the italian language write in italian and only
those who do not know it use english. This would be a small contribution
to the spreading of the italian language in the world.
Ciao a tutti
Sandra

--
|Email: Sandra.Farnedi@pr.bull.it                          |
|BULL HN  ITALY                  |   tel   : 39-2-9336-8333|

esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May15.072144.13814@bull.it> sandra@minerva1.pg.bull.fr (Sandra Farnedi) writes:

>Is this the right group to speak Italian or shall I wait for the creation
>of soc.culture.italian-language-only? I think that all the people who
>participate  in this newsgroup should at least understand italian
>so I think that everybody should be free to write in italian thinking
>that everybody can understand. Moreover I would like that all
>the people who can write the italian language write in italian and only
>those who do not know it use english. This would be a small contribution
>to the spreading of the italian language in the world.

Si,

Denis

fireflyte@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (05/27/91)

In article <1991May15.072144.13814@bull.it> sandra@minerva1.pg.bull.fr (Sandra Farnedi) writes:

>Is this the right group to speak Italian or shall I wait for the creation
>of soc.culture.italian-language-only? I think that all the people who
>participate  in this newsgroup should at least understand italian
>so I think that everybody should be free to write in italian thinking
>that everybody can understand. Moreover I would like that all
>the people who can write the italian language write in italian and only
>those who do not know it use english. This would be a small contribution
>to the spreading of the italian language in the world.

I agree with your desire to write in Italian on this group, as much as
possible, but if I may put in a request as somewhat of a representative of
those who do not know the language, but are eager to learn, that you do not
immediately condemn someone who posts questions in English, as it will do a
great deal more to help spread the language if new learners are able to draw
upon the knowledge of those who know, and if they are able to practice their
newly-born comprehension in reading "live" conversation. I have had to deal
with hostility over the net from Finlanders, and have been hoping that there is
more understanding among the other nationalities for one who wishes to learn.

Also, I would ask for possible sources/references that the group could suggest
to help teach-myself Italian. I have a background in Latin and Spanish, can
understand written French a little, and am eager to learn more about the
Italian quarter of my heritage. One last question: could anyone help me trace
the origins/meaning of my last name, Iannone? I have had little contact with
that side of my family.

Thank you in advance,
Shauna Iannone
University of Florida