[news.groups] Split of comp.sys.handhelds: straw poll results

matt@physics20.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) (05/29/91)

A week or so ago, I send out a call for a straw poll on the best way
to split comp.sys.handhelds.  I asked people, in particular, whether
they supported an hp48-only newsgroup, or a newsgroup on calculators
in general.

Well, here are the results of that straw poll.  Fundamentally, I'm
afraid it was more or less a failure.  First of all, only 28 people
responded to it.  Second, as this table shows, there is nothing
resembling a consensus.

|  Preferred solution:				Number    |
|  ------------------				------    |
|  comp.sys.calculators				8         |
|  hp48-only group (e.g., comp.sys.hp48)	18        |
|  other (e.g., comp.sys.calculators.hp)	2         |

(Some of the responses I got were a little unclear, or detailed.  I
shoved them into the Procrustean bed of this table as best I could.)

A few people gave their reasons for their opinions.  I don't see any
reason to repeat them here; I've seen all of them posted on the net at
one time or another, and if anyone wants to give further arguments for
their opinions they can do it themselves.  I also don't see any reason
for me to repeat my own opinions: I've posted them enough times.

Unfortunately, many of the people who responded said that if the CFV
was for the proposal they didn't favor, they would vote against it.
There seemed to be about the same number of intransigents on both
sides.

I would never have guessed that this newsgroup would be so
controversial, but it is.  The only solution, I think, is to use one
the voting methods that have been devised for dealing with
controversial newsgroups.  Peter da Silva has already posted one
article about such methods.

--
Matthew Austern                   Just keep yelling until you attract a
(415) 644-2618                    crowd, then a constituency, a movement, a

taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber) (05/29/91)

In article <MATT.91May28112103@physics20.berkeley.edu>,
matt@physics20.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) writes:
|>Well, here are the results of that straw poll.  Fundamentally, I'm
|>afraid it was more or less a failure.  First of all, only 28 people
|>responded to it.  Second, as this table shows, there is nothing
|>resembling a consensus.
|>
|>-----------------------------------------------------------
|>|  Preferred solution:				Number    |
|>|  ------------------				------    |
|>|  comp.sys.calculators				8         |
|>|  hp48-only group (e.g., comp.sys.hp48)	18        |
|>|  other (e.g., comp.sys.calculators.hp)	2         |
|>-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't see comp.sys.palmtops represented here.  I know I voted in favor
of it. could you post a list of people who responded?

--
                                             >>>==>PStJTT
                                     Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber, KC1TD

Give a man a solution and you're employed for life.
Teach a man to find solutions and you're employed for a day.

matt@physics16.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) (05/30/91)

In article <5027@ryn.mro4.dec.com> taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick
St. Joseph Teahan Taber) writes, referring to the straw poll results
that I posted yesterday,

> I don't see comp.sys.palmtops represented here.  I know I voted in favor
> of it. could you post a list of people who responded?

Ah.  Perhaps I should have clarified the way I reported my results.

I regard comp.sys.palmtops and the calculator/hp48 issue as
orthogonal.  The votes will have to be independent, in any case: a
single vote cannot create both comp.sys.palmtops and
comp.sys.calculators.

I was just trying to resolve a very narrow question: should we send
out a CFV for comp.sys.calculators, or one for
comp.sys.calculators.hp48 (or whatever the name would be.)  Whether or
not we have a palmtops group doesn't matter affect that question
terribly much.  [And, I might add, I think that we should send out a
CFV for comp.sys.palmtops regardless of what we do about the hp48.]

In any case, all of the people who wanted to create
comp.sys.calculators also wanted comp.sys.palmtops.  So, if you like,
you can just regard that heading in my table as an abbreviation for
"comp.sys.calculators and comp.sys.palmtops."

As for the list of respondants.  I wasn't terribly careful about
keeping track of who mailed me: as I said, this was not a vote, but
just an informal straw poll so that we could see if there is a
consensus.  If I try hard, I suppose I could come up with a list of
most of the folks who mailed me.

In fact, Patrick, I never did receive any mail from you.  (I was a
trifle surprised at that, which is why I remember.)  So, if you like,
you can add one more person in the "comp.sys.calculators and
comp.sys.palmtops" column.

Not that it matters much.  As I said in my original article, it just
doesn't seem to me that there is a consensus.  Tweaking the numbers a
little bit in one direction or another won't change that fact.
--

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (05/30/91)

matt@physics16.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) writes:
> I regard comp.sys.palmtops and the calculator/hp48 issue as
> orthogonal.  The votes will have to be independent, in any case: a
> single vote cannot create both comp.sys.palmtops and
> comp.sys.calculators.

Why not? You can run as many votes as you want on a single CFV.

I posted a sample ballot a while back.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  Taronga Park BBS  +1 713 568 0480 2400/n/8/1
 Taronga Park.    'U`       "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

In article <PON4MIK@taronga.hackercorp.com> peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> matt@physics16.berkeley.edu (Matt Austern) writes:
> > I regard comp.sys.palmtops and the calculator/hp48 issue as
> > orthogonal.  The votes will have to be independent, in any case: a
> > single vote cannot create both comp.sys.palmtops and
> > comp.sys.calculators.
>
> Why not? You can run as many votes as you want on a single CFV.
>
> I posted a sample ballot a while back.

Yes, and I think that something like your suggestion is probably the
best way to do things.

Actually, we aren't disagreeing here.  I said that we needed more than
one vote to create comp.sys.calculators and comp.sys.palmtops.  Yes,
we can do it with a single CFV, but it's still two votes.

I still think that the question of whether to create comp.sys.palmtops
is separate from the question of whether to create an hp48-only group,
a calculator group, or both.