[news.groups] Call for votes: comp.graphics.interesting

woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) (05/25/91)

   Well I've been hoping for something to happen with comp.graphics
for many years now, so I guess it's high time to do something.  Since
there has been a reasonable period of discussion, that is now dwindling
off in news.groups I'm making the official call.

   Send your votes, yes or no, to woolstar@cobalt.caltech.edu for
	comp.graphics.interesting
	moderated (by me)

   I felt comp.graphics.interesting was an appropriate name, because
it leaves the discussion open to almost anything in computer graphics.
Visualization, ray tracing, animation, hardware, interfaces, books,
standards, algorithms, conferences, and many more things could be
discussed here.  I'm all for that.
   I feel it should be moderated, because there is an increasing number
of people using news that aren't as careful about posting, and the
zealous nuts that used to flame poor novice users out of existence
are just spread too thin.  (maybe this is good)  Even when the posting
is appropriate, sometimes the user doesn't use good form--like re-posting
the entire article in the new article, going off on a new subject without
changing the header, etc.
   Sometimes the property of the net amplifies a problem, like one hundred
ways to calculate the normal of a polygon, including an encore.  The
tradeoff is a delay, but I'll address that in my platform :-)

My qualifications,
   I am a long time news reader (I still remember net.humor).
   I have been involved in graphics for several years, and follow the
field avidly (through SIGGraph and other means).  I have quite a knowledge
in some areas--3D object shading and manipulation, ray-tracing,
rasterization, animation--and what I don't know about, I'm interesting
in learning and exploring further.
   I am trying to make my living doing computer graphics (animation)
as well as working on new research in the field.
   I stay up late at night, and drink lots of Mt. Dew.

My platform (as moderator, I promise...)

NUMBER 1
   Fast responses, hopefully under a day.  I only expect problems with that
around SIGGRAPH time each summer.

NUMBER 2
   Minimal mucking with articles.  I only ask for clear subject headers,
not to much reposting of previous articles, and a little care for formatting.

> it annoys me a lot when some strange news posting
software
> out there breaks up all the included lines from
> previous article and posts them in such a strange
fashion.

> I have never figured out the cause of
this.

NUMBER 3
   Almost any computer graphics topic covered.  I will also consider
questions or requests that may be more appropriate somewhere else
and direct all follow ups in that direction, (example  comp.sys.sgi,
comp.graphics.visualization, or comp.windows.x, etc.)

NUMBER 4
   Any article I turn down for posting, I will make a reasonable
effort to explain my reason, and will try to keep an open mind.
Anyone trying to blackmail me into posting something (someone else
mentioned sending 100 copies per day), will be met by judicious
use of a kill file.  Past that, if my sysadmin wants to take it up
with there sysadmin, so be it.

NUMBER 5
   Continuing Frequently asked questions, hopefully with
the help of Jef.  The only change I'd like to make is to break it
up into a few different parts, as the current one is very long.
Then I would just rotate the parts through every couple of days
so that there would be the same coverage as now.

NUMBER 6
   Screening of requests for such things as Speed Racer GIFFs, etc.
I want this group to be about Computer Graphics, not images,
hw answers or other questions.  Recent articles I'd be likely to quash:

	TestPattern image
	Programming a Mah-Jongg type game
	Dr. Who GIF files
	Double Buffering on a ATI VGA Wonder

-----
That's it.  Questions, votes, flames and money to
	woolstar@cobalt.caltech.edu
	John D. Woolverton, Engineer
	Video Bits

Please put the vote YES or NO in the subject.

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.221020.6321@nntp-server.caltech.edu> woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) writes:
>   Well I've been hoping for something to happen with comp.graphics
>for many years now, so I guess it's high time to do something.  Since
>there has been a reasonable period of discussion, that is now dwindling
>off in news.groups I'm making the official call.

Wait a sec, is this related to the comp.graphics.research discussion?
If so:

1) It's started up again.  No kidding.  Really.

2) The discussion period ends Jun 16 (as I stated in my CFD).

3) Given that the name you chose was never agreed on in the
discussion, I believe you're supposed to issue a new Call For
Discussion.  (Although I'd be more than happy to discuss a change from
comp.graphics.research -- more in a later article.)

4) A Call For Votes should also go to news.announce.newgroups.

Folks, some of you may be pissed at me for being such a stickler for
details, but I quote the "Guidelines for Usenet Group Creation":

      Any group creation request which follows these guidelines to a
   successful result should be honored, and any request which fails to
   follow these procedures or to obtain a successful result from doing so
   should be dropped, except under extraordinary circumstances.

I believe Dave Lawrence (news.announce.newgroups moderator) or someone
else has the authority to veto the creation of any newsgroup that does
not go through the proper formal procedure.  Let's not turn this
promising start into a fiasco.

If any of you are interested in the Guidelines I mentioned above, you
can get it via anonymous FTP:

	barkley.berkeley.edu:/misc/u-startgroup.txt [128.32.142.237]

Again, I appeal to everyone concerned to join in the discussion.  The
informal vote taken by Jamie Gulden indicated that there are quite a
few of you who are against moderation -- let's hear your voices now!

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (05/31/91)

I don't think that .interesting is a good adjective.

Comp.graphics.research is more descriptive.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com