[news.groups] suspended CVF comp.graphics.interesting

woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) (05/31/91)

   I have mixed feelings about this, but after some consideration,
I am closing my "early" call for votes comp.graphics.interesting
for two reasons.

   One:  the powers that be do not look very kindly on this effort
and are not very willing to lend it any "legitimacy".  I think that
it is way overdue, as do many of the people that have voted so far,
and would not call it if this were the only reason.

   Second, it is clear that comp.graphics.interesting is not
a very good name.  I felt initially that this wasn't a very
important problem, as the posters and moderation would dictate
the nature of the group, but may people feel otherwise.

   After discussing it with adreanho, I am willing to call of
this premature effort, and go with one unified effort.  I feel
that eventually we will have a moderated graphics group, which
I look forward to, though it irks me to wait several more weeks.
   (talk about propagation delays!!!)

   I would like to thank everyone who has voted, or send me
mail discussing this.  Especially the people that voted YES!
After a week, the votes were overwhelmingly for a moderated
group, whatever its name.  (votes were six to one, YES vs NO.)
Some of the more interesting positive responses:
   Comp.graphics.interesting YES (anything just soon)
   Go ahead, do it !
   Yes for comp.graphics.interesting  (moderated of course)
   I think YES says it all...
   Flaming Yes From Hell, in fact.

I urge all of those out there that voted YES, to get out
and vote, when this comes up again.

   As to the concept of a automated moderator, working on "key words",
I think the idea is rather bad.  A personal effort is always going
to be more effective, judge on content rather than spelling.
Besides, if a automatic procedure is known about, it can be
defeated easily, overwhelming an unprepared moderator anyways.
	Anyone have any good G.I.F. files?

   My personal interest, is still to have a quality forum
for the discussion of computer graphics: research, ideas,
development, architecture, etc.  A little hardware now and
then, with followups directed to the relevant groups.
(I read comp.sys.sgi anyways)

   As far as commitment, I am an independent contractor,
and am in complete control of my time.  My primary interest
is in computer graphics, and I am in touch with several
associates over the net daily.  I have two different
venues of access to central internet ( caltech and xerox ),
and waste plenty of time on net-news daily already.
   I am also discussing setting up a mailing address
for the proposed group on this system, which would make
handling incoming posts easier (as well as getting assistance
or turning over temporary control).
   I am also willing to share the job with another moderator, if the
net would like a "fail safe" system.  Again, having a separate
account, and central internet location would make that possible.

   What doesn't seem settled very well is a name.
Neither cg.interesting or cg.research seem to be very popular.
Some better ones may be
	comp.graphics.development
	comp.graphics.programmer

Any thoughts, or other ideas?

	John D. Woolverton,  Video Bits
	woolstar@cobalt.caltech.edu

jk87377@cc.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.061130.7782@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) writes:

>   I have mixed feelings about this, but after some consideration,
>I am closing my "early" call for votes comp.graphics.interesting
>for two reasons.

I have wondered why you started that comp.graphics.interesting depate
just after somebody called comp.graphics.research.
You seem not know that there's a discussion time before voting.

>Neither cg.interesting or cg.research seem to be very popular.

Of course comp.graphics.research has not got attention lately, because
we are just waiting the end of the discussion period and then we can
vote for it.
Guess why your voting got so much yes votes?
Lots of people here have not realised the same thing; there's a
discussion period. Maybe they have no patience to wait a voting time.
Neither have you.

When we have that voting time for comp.graphics.research?  June 16? Or?

Juhana Kouhia