[news.groups] Toughies for comp.graphics.mod moderator

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) (05/29/91)

"Anyone got any GOOD gifs, I mean GOOD gifs?"

"How do I check if a ray intersects a height field without waiting two years?"

"How do I convert GIFs to Postscript files?"

"What's the format of GIFs anyway?  I'm writing a program that
produces/reads them."

"I've found a better way to compress image files."

"How do I do double buffering on a VGA display?"

"Can someone tell me about how to draw a Julia set?"

"Anyone got C code that implements a BSD tree?"

"Can someone recommend a book on particle-based systems?"

"New technique for hardware support for textured surfaces."

"What's the cheapest 1Mpolygon/sec platform I can get?"

"Shouldn't there be an 'Uglyness' field in Renderman?"

"I've just worked out a much faster algorithm for radiosity."
                                         ____
\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk \  /
/\__/ Part straight. Part gay. All queer. \/
"I say we kill him and eat his brain."
"That's not the solution to _every_ problem, you know!" -- Rudy Rucker

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/29/91)

[Note: The following answers to Paul's questions reflect to a greater
extent the _revised_ (ie. comp.graphics.programmer) charter rather
than the old (ie. comp.graphics.research) one.  More precisely, they
illustrate the nature of the actual charter which I envision, except
I'm unable to summarize these answers in a single, concise paragraph.]

In article <10622@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) writes:
>"Anyone got any GOOD gifs, I mean GOOD gifs?"

NO - alt.sex.pictures.d (assuming we're both thinking about the same
definition of "GOOD" 8-).

>"How do I check if a ray intersects a height field without waiting two years?"

YES.

>"How do I convert GIFs to Postscript files?"

NO - alt.graphics.pixutils.

>"What's the format of GIFs anyway?  I'm writing a program that
>produces/reads them."

NO - comp.graphics.

>"I've found a better way to compress image files."

MAYBE - cross-posting to comp.compression may be appropriate.

>"How do I do double buffering on a VGA display?"

NO - comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer.

>"Can someone tell me about how to draw a Julia set?"

NO - alt.fractals.

>"Anyone got C code that implements a BSD tree?"

YES.

>"Can someone recommend a book on particle-based systems?"

NO - alt.books.technical or comp.theory.<something>.

>"New technique for hardware support for textured surfaces."

YES, if the gist of the post isn't platform-specific.

>"What's the cheapest 1Mpolygon/sec platform I can get?"

NO - comp.graphics (for want of a better group).

>"Shouldn't there be an 'Uglyness' field in Renderman?"

YES.

>"I've just worked out a much faster algorithm for radiosity."

YES.

Incidentally, note that quite a few of the recommended alternative
groups mentioned above are in the alt.* hierarchy.  Since that
hierarchy is carried by sites on an "interest-only" basis, methinks
such posts will end up in comp.graphics anyway <sigh>.

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (05/30/91)

I claim that comp.graphics should be converted to moderation, and
it should be auto-moderated: the program has a list of negative
keywords and appropriate newsgroups, and bounces a posting which has
any keyword with a politely worded message containing all appropriate
newsgroups.

If you are hip to this and word your posting to avoid the Nasty Words,
you will get through but will be put on the "dubious posters" list;
all of your future postings will be hand-moderated.

The Immoderate Killfile.

Lance

Isn't there an FCC regulation about this?

aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley) (06/01/91)

I agree absolutely.  comp.graphics.theory is an ideal name.  So is
comp.graphics.pictures.  The FAQ is already weekly, by the way.  Doesn't
help.  Most newbies have no idea that they're farting in front of
100,000 people when they ask for a GIF->Postscript converter.

So, would the moderators _please_ come on down?  I'd love to volunteer,
but long summer holidays put paid to that.

Has anyone volunteered to be moderator yet?  Could they repeat that
proposal so we know about you?

Thanks in advance.
                                         ____
\/ o\ Paul Crowley aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk \  /
/\__/ Part straight. Part gay. All queer. \/
"I say we kill him and eat his brain."
"That's not the solution to _every_ problem, you know!" -- Rudy Rucker

(PS: an earlier version of this message got out with the Followup-To
field incorrectly set to comp.graphics and has since been cancelled.  Sorry.)