[news.groups] comp.graphics.* bid for MODERATOR and NAME discussion

woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) (06/05/91)

    After cleaning up the comp.graphics.interesting stuff and
discussing this darn news thing with Adrian Ho, I am making a
clear bid as moderator of this new group: comp.graphics.I

What I do,
    I am a Senior Programmer with Video Bits, a computer graphics
animation software company, where I design ray tracing and
animation tools for Unix and personal computers.  I have designed
several generations of our current software, as well as adapting
it for X, Motif, and the Mac windowing systems.
    I work with other computer graphics programmers, evolving
our product, and with animation artists in Los Angeles, trying
to meet their performance and production needs.

    My goal to learn about everything in computer graphics, and to
use what I know to write the best rendering software that is practical.
I'm an expert in ray-tracing, modeling, sampling and 3d math;
while I'm a learner in Radiosity, CSG, and artificial reality.

    I graduated from the Caltech Graphics Lab, home of many
"big names" like Jim Kajia, Jim Blinn, and Al Barr (my advisor).
Current member of ACM SIGGRAPH.  Egad, the prices!  I have been
religiously attending SIGGRAPH since it came to Los Angeles
five years ago.  The road trip to Siggraph in Atlanta was
an adventure in itself...
    My home machine is a Silicon Graphics 4d35 Personal Iris.
    Ha!

The site,
    The local sysadmin has agreed to create a specific account
for submissions to this group on the system:
    nntp-server.caltech.edu
    Caltech is connected on the west coast NSF backbone, and I
have access to it both by TCP and modem backup.  This site and
account could well exist longer than I, the original VAX BSD
system was in place before I got here, and operations migrated
to sparc stations seemlessly.

My goal,
    To manage a forum for computer graphics discussion.
New ideas, old ideas, what people are using, what's being
worked on, what hasn't worked, ... everything.  I don't consider
the PC hardware and GIFFLE in comp.gr to be computer graphics
discussion.  (I like the term GIFFLE btw.)
    I hope to keep a fast turn around.  Most of the time I am
on the system and can respond quickly.  I don't imagine wanting
to edit postings, except perhapse the subject line to maintain
consistancy.

    For now, I would like to see if there is any serious support
for the following, or any other news group names.  Some people
probably don't care, but others seem to have strong views.
A partial list of names that have currently been brought up
and discussed are:
	comp.graphics.research
	comp.graphics.interesting
	comp.graphics.development
	comp.graphics.programmer
	comp.graphics.mod
	comp.graphics.theory
	comp.graphics.software

I'd like to compile a list of possible names, so that we can
call a preliminary vote for the name before it's time for
the final vote.

	woolstar@cobalt.caltech.edu

"Proofread carefully to see if you any words out."
"I just got out of the hospital.  I was in a speed reading accident.
   I hit a bookmark." -- Steven Wright

jk87377@cc.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.150157.14003@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) writes:

>I'd like to compile a list of possible names, so that we can
>call a preliminary vote for the name before it's time for
>the final vote.

And then we should call a preliminary vote for the moderator.
You, Murray,... others?

Juhana Kouhia