Here we go, after a long and fruitful discussion, it seems that at
this time only four new groups and the removal of comp.sys.next
are being called for AT THIS TIME.

#1 c.s.n.announce (moderated) - This group is for NeXT computer related
announcements.  This includes, but is not limited to user group
meeting announcements, new products relating specifically to the NeXT
machine, and other information announcements (such as the FAQ).  This
group will be moderated, with me as the moderator (there was a
volunteer a while back but I have not heard back from him).

#2 c.s.n.sysadmin - This unmoderated group will be dedicated to NeXT
specific system administration discussions.  This includes software
configuration, and addition of peripherals to the NeXT computer.

#3 c.s.n.programmer - This group will deal with NeXT related programming
issues.  Questions about porting of code to the NeXT, programming in
NeXTStep environment etc...

#4 c.s.n.misc - everything else about the NeXT that has no other place.
This will result in comp.sys.next to be renamed as comp.sys.next.misc

HOW TO VOTE:
Simply cut out the ballot below mark Y or N for each item
and send to csn-split@plethora.media.mit.edu.  Voting will begin
June 1 and end on June 30th at 11:59:59pm.  Votes received after June
30 will be ignored/bounced.

BALLOT
======
* - #1 create comp.sys.next.announce (moderated by Pascal Chesnais)
* - #2 create comp.sys.next.sysadmin
* - #3 create comp.sys.next.programmer
* - #4 rename comp.sys.next to be comp.sys.next.misc

A second request to vote will be issued June 15th (right after USENIX),
with a tally of who voted but not how.  A final call for votes will
be issued June 24th as a last reminder.

For the vote to be consider sucessful there must be at least 100 more
yes votes than no votes with at least a 2/3 majority.

johnr@oceania.UUCP (John Robison) (06/11/91)

In article <7744@segue.segue.com> psl@segue.com (Peter Langston) writes:

> In article <j4qhgy_@rpi.edu> csn-split@plethora.media.mit.edu writes:
> >*** CALL FOR VOTES ON THE SPLITTING OF COMP.SYS.NEXT ***
> >
> [ Much stuff deleted here ]
>
> I may be missing something, having only subscribed to comp.sys.next for 3 or
> 4 weeks, but I haven't seen more than half a dozen messages in that time that
> weren't related to splitting the group up.  Why split up a group that has
> almost zero traffic?  Somehow it reminds me of people who get married because
> their relationship isn't going well...
> Peter Langston

Yes you are missing something. We have been discussing this for the
last month in news.groups where it is appropriate. For complete
details of the whole process, review this news group.

johnr
| A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance |
| of his own verbosity.  --> We gladly accept NeXT Mail <-- |
| Try:  uunet!oceania!johnr*  OR   johnr@oceania.UUCP*      |
| *Not necessarily (mis)representing the company or myself! |