[news.groups] Database Mailing Lists

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (06/27/91)

In article <19621153@thinc.COM> ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>Greetings -
>
>                        Is it time yet ?
>
>        Over the past six months comp.databases has withered away into a series
>of private mailing lists devoted to database packages.  What brave soul will
>call for the reorg of the group ?
>
>		[ list of subgroups by vendor name deleted ]

It's getting time, but I would reorg along different lines.  Many
database discussions are not vendor-specific, so we still need a
vanilla comp.databases.  It's also useful to see comparative
discussions of different vendors' products; these might be lost if
discussion was partitioned by vendor.

It might be more useful to decompose along more topical lines, eg:

	comp.databases.theory	- For "what is an RDBMS"-type discussions :-)
	comp.databases.market	- For comparative discussions of released
				  or "announced" products, and "tell me what
				  DBMS to buy" postings.
	comp.databases.appl	- For requests for applications (or DBA) help
				  and answers.  This group could be decomposed
				  further, as:
				.vendorX
				.vendorY ...
				  This might bring the best
				  cost/benefit to decomposing, as most of
				  vendorY's users can probably do without
				  knowing how to change vendorX's screen
				  layouts, etc.

-TW

PS I guess this dialogue now amounts to a CFD, so followups go to
news.groups.
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim@toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim
Dis claim er dat claim, what's da difference?  I'm da one doin da talkin' hea.