[comp.sys.intel] X for 386 UNIX

jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) (07/06/87)

Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)

Does anyone have a Hercules driver for the aforementioned beast,
and does anyone have a MONITERM driver, too????

		Thanks a lot in advance

				Jordan

Jordan Bortz	Higher Level Software 1085 Warfield Ave  Piedmont, CA   94611
(415) 268-8948	UUCP:	(decvax|ucbvax|ihnp4)!decwrl!sun!dlb!plx!titn!jordan

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/13/87)

In article <174@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
> 	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)
>
> Does anyone have a Hercules driver for the aforementioned beast,
> and does anyone have a MONITERM driver, too????

I saw X being demoed at UniForum in January on a 386 at the Microport booth.
My understanding is that the Microport port of UNIX to the 386 and the
Interactive 386 UNIX are one and the same.  So obviously the port of X to this
version of UNIX has already been done, the code exists and is in the can
*somewhere*.  The hardware they were demoing was only EGA resolution, though
-- nothing close to Moniterm resolution.  I have no idea whether Microport
will sell X as a separate product.  I'm not really knowledgeable about X, but
my understanding is that X is either public domain or source is available from
MIT for mighty cheap; presumably some custom drivers are involved, and those
might be proprietary.

Try giving Microport a call.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/15/87)

In article <230@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <174@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
>> 	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)

>I saw X being demoed at UniForum in January on a 386 at the Microport booth.

My notes seem to say that the windows package is from Locus development.
When I was at the booth, they were running two dos sessions on
terminals, one on the screen in a window, flight simulator in another
window, and vi in yet another. All at acceptable speed.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen