[comp.sys.intel] Pointer alignment when processor == brain damaged

gregg@a.cs.okstate.edu (Gregg Wonderly) (09/10/87)

in article <2894@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) says:

> root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) wrote:
>> -- New Subject:  pointer manipulation on intel chips --
>> 	A pointer has 2 parts, a SEGMENT and an OFFSET, each 16 bits in length.
>>     e.g.:  1040:3333
>
> I think it's great :-) that people are teaching folks how to write programs
> for the 8086 that will break when recompiled for the 80386.  There's nothing
> like software foolishness to break even the best-implemented hardware
> compatability...

And the best part is, INTeL is still producing the same brain damage which
has infected this poor persons mind.

I think it sucks when companies pick monetary solutions over better
solutions just to be compatible.  After all, aren't the same limitations
in a compiled program on the 80286 still there on the 80386?

Why shouldn't I just buy a whole new system since I am going to have to
buy new hardware to get rid of those limitations, and then new software
to get rid of the limitations there?

Seems a bit stupid to me...

MSDOS -- Just say NO!

-----
Gregg Wonderly
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:  {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers, seismo, uiucdcs}!okstate!gregg
ARPA:  gregg@A.CS.OKSTATE.EDU