[comp.sys.intel] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #5

rroot@edm.UUCP (uucp) (02/12/88)

> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 88 13:53 MDT
> From: Joe Doupnik <JRD@USU.BITNET>
> Subject: MS-Kermit Under OS/2
>
> [Ed. - A question we're getting a lot these days is "Will (or can) MS-Kermit
> run under OS/2?"  As far as 2.30 (and earlier) are concerned, the answer is
. . . . .
> physical hardware needs attention from the program.  Rumors and the Microsoft
> Journal say that interrupt handler latency is very, very long on 286 machines
  . . . .
> So, the short forms are: Yes, it runs now in the DOS box, but a full OS/2
> version needs a substantial development effort.  The Presentation Manager specs

Conversation after reading this: (from memory):

me: Wasn't the '286 supposed to be so good at task switching??
dave: Hunh?
me: Well, it was supposed to have all these wonderfull instructions that made
task-switching so much faster and easier.
Dave: Right -- well dream on!
me: Yeah, it was, wasn't it?
--
 Stephen Samuel