[comp.sys.intel] FIFOs break tar, others

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/14/88)

In article <9824@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   Outside of reporting the bug in Ultrix, I think it would be useful for
> people to report their experiences, so that we get a feel for which
> systems exhibit the problem you mention.

OK, sorry.  Since I found the problem on both my Unix system at home and
the Xenix system at work, I assumed that it was more widespread than it
apparently is.  The bug appears in Microport System V/286 and on Xenix
as supplied by Intel for the Intel 310 multibus '286 box.
--
"Weekends were made for programming."  -me
..!uunet!nuchat!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/15/88)

  Several people have told me that pipes can cause trouble with cpio if
they are open. I have not been able to cause that behavior, but I don't
doubt it for a moment. I repeated my tests as follows, without failure.
	/etc/mknode fifo p	# create the pipe
	sleep 180 > fifo	# get it going
	ls | cpio -ov > /tmp/x$$ # try a dump

  Thanks to several who clarified this.