[comp.sys.intel] Intel Logic Analyzers

dspoon@fenix.Atlanta.NCR.COM (David B. Witherspoon) (03/01/88)

Has anyone out there had any exposure to Intel's ICE (In-Circuit Emulator)
package and/or any of there logic analyzers?

We've had HP come in to do a demo for us, but the guys had never seen the
system they were demonstrating, so we booted 'em out.

We keep calling the intel people and they continue to give us a very apathetic
attitude about selling us their systems! We'd love to give them an opportunity
to make some money, but they're not interested...Even the regional sales
office is somewhat uninterested, asking us to go through the paperwork to have
an "evaluation system" sent here. We don't have somebody sitting on their
duff that would have time to explore this system in detail...we need a 3-hour
demo before we even think about evaluation!!

Any help here would be much appreciated!

-------------------------------David Witherspoon-------------------------------
D.Witherspoon@Atlanta.NCR.COM         | "Facts all come with points of view
NCR Sys Engineering-Retail/Atlanta    |  Facts don't do what I want them to"
MY OPINIONS...ALL MINE!!!             |               - Talking Heads

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/06/88)

In article <303@fenix.Atlanta.NCR.COM> dspoon@fenix.Atlanta.NCR.COM (David B. Witherspoon) writes:
>Has anyone out there had any exposure to Intel's ICE (In-Circuit Emulator)
>package and/or any of there logic analyzers?
>
>We've had HP come in to do a demo for us, but the guys had never seen the
>system they were demonstrating, so we booted 'em out.

We've used HP 64000's here, and we now use Intel I2ICE's with '86 and '186
pods.  We've also got some 8051 ICE's.
Although some people prefer the user interface of the HP64000,
we found that the following Intel features made their system preferable:

	- PC hosted: no need to learn another 'OS', can use favorite
	  PC software for upload/download.
	- No boat, just the boat anchor. (Anchor sits under the table,
	  not on it).
	- Bond-out processor chips, true emulation
	   Our hardware designs are so timing critical that other
	   emulators and analyzers we tried wouldn't work properly,
	   in particular, the NWIS (Northwest Instruments) performance
	   analyzer never flew, even though they tried several
	   times to make us happy -- I thought the NWIS salesman
	   was going to cry when we told him to take his stuff back!
	- Intel ready to serve, since we're building large volume
	  products based around their chips.
	- I2ICE's were a lot cheaper than HP64000's
--
		Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

yuval@taux01.UUCP (Gideon Yuval) (03/08/88)

Never hacked HP analyzers; but all ICE users know they have to avoid ICE
uploading at all costs. There are various tricks (a bit easier on i2ICE,
a bit harder on ICE86) to get ICE out of the way, upload the code using
RS232 (yes, at 9600 baud -- it's a lot faster!) and get back to ICE for
debugging.
--
Gideon Yuval, +972-52-522255 (work), -2-690992 (home), yuval@taux02.nsc.com
 Paper-mail: National Semiconductor, 6 Maskit St., Herzliyah, Israel

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (03/24/88)

In article <477@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>Although some people prefer the user interface of the HP64000,
>we found that the following Intel features made their system preferable:
>
>...	- Bond-out processor chips, true emulation
>	   Our hardware designs are so timing critical that other
>	   emulators and analyzers we tried wouldn't work properly,

Be aware that unfortunately the Intel 80386 I2ICE makes use of the 386's
onoard break registers, so its break-pointing is less flexible than on the
286.  It also requires to insert wait states when doing a trace (i.e.
storing a history) and is thus timing intrusive.

Ray Dunn.  ..{philabs, mnetor}!micomvax!ray