[comp.sys.intel] How can I tell which '328 chips have the Erratum 21 bug?

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (10/18/88)

>Subject: Re: Erratum 21
>
>   All currently available 386's have errata 21. It is not a matter of
>testing to find what percentage does not experience the symptoms. There is
>a bug in the current microcode inside the chip that will always hang the
>floating point instruction under certain external conditions. The next
>revision of 386 (D step) solves this problem, it's already been tested.
>Unfortunately, these ar not generally available yet.
>
>   There are the add in boards available that solve errata 21 problems.
>We sell one, other companies do also. Be careful when you buy one though.
>Ours will work in any 386 system that it mechanically fits in (and that does
>not have electrical problems). The other product we have seen will only work in
>clones that do not decode the A31 through A24, I guess they figure that it
>is an acceptable tradeoff for saving $5 and a square inch of daughter board.
>
>							-Jim Wall
>							Bell Technologies Inc.
>							(415)659-9097

Jim:

I'm sure you are aware that SCO's Xenix 386 product will detect systems
with Erratum 21 type errors, and boot a Kernel that refuses to recognize
the '387 chip.  Everex is shipping a 386/20 system that passes this test,
and recognizes the '387 coporcessor.  Therefore, '386 chips with the
Erratum 21 problem are available now.

The question still stands:

	How can I deturmine which '386 chips don't have the Erratum
	21 bug.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)