[comp.sys.intel] Request for help on Intel microarchitectures

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/23/88)

I am very interested in trying to find out about more about the implementation
of the 8088, 80286, or 80386 chips, especially the microarchitecture (data
path, ALU, microinstruction format, etc.). I have seen one article that touches
on the subject a little, in IEEE Micro Magazine, Dec 1985 by Khaled A. El-Ayat
and Rakesh K. Agarwal.  I called up Intel's headquarters and asked to talk to
those two people, and was told that they are unknown (although their affiliation
is listed as Intel.  I then asked for the Engineering department/division, and
was told there was none.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has seen any articles anywhere
about the microarchitecture of those chips could contact me by email.  Also,
if there is anyone there who works at Intel and knows someone in the design
groups that produced the chips, or even who has a corporate phone book and
can find the proper company entity to call, that would be great.  Thanks.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

wbeebe@bilver.UUCP (bill beebe) (12/27/88)

In article <1846@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>I am very interested in trying to find out about more about the implementation
>of the 8088, 80286, or 80386 chips, especially the microarchitecture (data
>path, ALU, microinstruction format, etc.).

 For your information, (and that of the general listening public), here is
a listing of Intel data books as of 12/27/88. Please keep in mind that this
list may (and probably will) change for 1989.

	1986 iAPX 86/88, 186/188 User's Manual and Programmer's Reference
		order number 210911-003
	1987 80286 Hardware Reference Manual
		order number 210760-002
	1987 80286 and 80287 Programmer's Reference, order # unknown
	1986 80386 Programmer's Reference Manual, order number 230985-001
	1988 80386 Microprocessor Hardware Reference Manual,
		order number 231732-003
	1987 80387 Programmer's Reference Manual, order # 231917-001

 There are two other titles I can't quite remember that cover writing
system software on the 80286 and the 80386, respectively.

 If you (Andy Tanenbaum) will send me via email a postal address, I'll
send you a complete kit as quickly as possible.

 There are other little booklets and articles on the 80x86 family, but
these represent a "core" (well, sortof) of information..

>I have seen one article that touches
>on the subject a little, in IEEE Micro Magazine, Dec 1985 by Khaled A. El-Ayat
>and Rakesh K. Agarwal.  I called up Intel's headquarters and asked to talk to
>those two people, and was told that they are unknown (although their affiliation
>is listed as Intel.  I then asked for the Engineering department/division, and
>was told there was none.

 If you tried to reach two engineers listed in a 1985 article in 1988, the
probability is they no longer work there, if you take into consideration
the volitility of the workplace. People do tend to move around in this
business :-). If there's anything else I can do for you, don't hesitate
to ask.

michael@roberta.UUCP (Michael A. Moran ) (12/30/88)

> 	1987 80286 and 80287 Programmer's Reference, order # unknown
	1987 80286 and 80287 Programmer's Reference, order # 210498

Also:

	1987 Development Tools Handbook, order # 210940
	1987 Embedded Controller Handbook, order # 210918
	1988 Embedded Control Applications, order # 270535

--
Michael A. Moran
{ ...}!comix!roberta!michael