[comp.sys.intel] Two

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (01/11/89)

In article <492@babbage.acc.virginia.edu>, mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
> C is not a high level language.
> C is not a language for the average programmer.
> its wholesale adoption by the PC community is a disaster
> for both the language and that community.
> perhaps you should consider something in the Pascal line.

But if you program in a language that generates code unique to the
compiler and machine you are using, the language is not K&R C, the
language is not ANSI C, the language is not PCC C, the language is
Microsoft C, version 5.1, and not very portable.  It is also not the
language described in the Microsoft manuals and readme files (as I
read them).  To me that is not only not a high level language, that is
not a language at all --- it is a tool and nothing more (and an
inadequate one at that).

Many people (some at Microsoft) agree with you, and I do not.  I consider
it a much greater disaster that these many people feel compelled to
accept a BUG just because it's there!

Why break reasonable looking code just for the H*** of it?

Charles
/// No disclaimer, only an idiot would want to disclaim this brilliant