[comp.sys.intel] Intel 310/286 system--questions

ml@gandalf.UUCP (Marcus Leech) (06/30/89)

I have an Intel 310/286 system with the following configuration:

  - 286/10 CPU Board
  - 512K memory expansion
  - Floppy controlller with 360K floppy
  - Winchester controller with 40Meg disk

  - Intel XENIX 3.4

I'd like to install a 550-type ethernet board, but I wonder if anyone
  has a driver for it for Intel XENIX 3.4.
I'd also like to know whether it's possible to add more memory to the
  system.  Does anyone know whether Intel XENIX 3.4 runs in protected mode
  or real-address mode on the 310/286??
Does anyone do a honest-to-gosh System-V R3 for such a system?
--
"If at first you dont succeed, STOP!"    PaperMail: 130 Colonnade Rd, Nepean,ON
Marcus Leech                             E-mail:     ml@gandalf.UUCP

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (07/14/89)

In article <2528@gandalf.UUCP> ml@gandalf.UUCP (Marcus Leech) writes:

>I have an Intel 310/286 system with the following configuration:
>
>  - 286/10 CPU Board
>  - 512K memory expansion
>  - Floppy controlller with 360K floppy
>  - Winchester controller with 40Meg disk
>
>  - Intel XENIX 3.4
>
>I'd like to install a 550-type ethernet board, but I wonder if anyone
>  has a driver for it for Intel XENIX 3.4.
>I'd also like to know whether it's possible to add more memory to the
>  system.  Does anyone know whether Intel XENIX 3.4 runs in protected mode
>  or real-address mode on the 310/286??
>Does anyone do a honest-to-gosh System-V R3 for such a system?
[signature deleted.]

The Ethernet drivers are supplied as part of Intel's OpenNET software package.

It is possible to up to 3MB of memory to the iSBC 286/10 CPU board.  There is
a 2MB board available called the 020CX and a 1MB board called the 010CX, both
use ancient 150ns DRAMs, and if your unlucky and get an old revision, it will
have 64K-bit DRAMs.  :-(  I would suggest upgrading to an iSBC 286/16 CPU board,
it would contain 4MB of RAM on a daughter-board and be significantly quicker.
Better yet, upgrade to a psuedo-320 with an iSBC 386/16.

As of this writing, there is no SVR3 available for the Intel 3xx Series that
I know of.  I am currently running Intel System V/386 on my Intel 320.  It is
a SVR2 conforment and supports a streams based version of OpenNET and RFS.
I do not belive this version of UNIX will run on Multibus I machines like the
Intel 310, only on Multibus II systems from Intel, like the 320.

I'm not sure what mode XENIX runs in, I do know the Intel 310 diagnostics
run in protrcted mode.

					--Carmen

--
Carmen Maria Hardina, University of Hawaii at Manoa...
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bt455s39