[comp.sys.intel] Intel DVI card info WANTED

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (07/10/89)

I recently read the article on INTEL's DVI  (digital video interactive)
chipset in the Wall Street Journal.  I'm a software developer and am VERY
interested in this kind of thing for an animation, presentation and video
editing system design I'm working on.  I've got a very well thought out design
that's basically been waiting for the right hardware.

If there's someone out there from Intel that can give me more info on the
DVI cards and chipset I would really be interested.  I might also want to
get a development card and work on some applications.

My primary questions are:

Can you do real time compression and expansion of video?  So a fast computer
with a big hard disk could be used like a VCR to record live video (to be
edited).

How good is image quality?  As good as a home VCR?  Broadcast quality?

How can someone get a development card?

Could the hardware be used to compress frames drawn in computer memory?  Ie:
so you could draw a frame at a time, compress and store it, then play it
back in real time?  (for use in creating animation)

If you have information on the DVI card...please contact me...I have experience
in Radio/TV production, Computer applications (16 years), Game design and
industrial process control.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) (07/13/89)

Interactive video, including Digital Video Interactive (DVI) is
the subject of this months (July 1989), Communications of the
ACM, for anyone who has an interest. Most of the key players
in the DVI arena are either authors of one of the articles or
mentioned within them.

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (07/14/89)

In article <1478@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I recently read the article on INTEL's DVI  (digital video interactive)
>chipset in the Wall Street Journal.  I'm a software developer and am VERY
>interested in this kind of thing for an animation, presentation and video
>editing system design I'm working on.  I've got a very well thought out design
>that's basically been waiting for the right hardware.
[stuff deleted.]

>Can you do real time compression and expansion of video?  So a fast computer
>with a big hard disk could be used like a VCR to record live video (to be
>edited).

Reprinted without permission from the March 1989 issue of PC Computing;
"The Road to Respect" by Stephen Manes

"   Still, there were a couple of catches. The decompression chips ran fine-at
a blazing 12.5 mips, about four times as fast as an 80386 processor-but back
home, the compression and analysis algorithms weren't exactly swift. Crunching
a single frame took about three minutes of expensive time on a VAX 8800
computer. And the picture quality could stand some improvement."

>How good is image quality?  As good as a home VCR?  Broadcast quality?

Reprinted without permission from the March 1989 issue of PC Computing;
"The Road to Respect" by Stephen Manes

"  Can DVI fail? Of course. Picture quality-and the production values of the
demos-are still not quite up to broadcast-TV level."

>How can someone get a development card?

Reprinted without permission from the March 1989 issue of PC Computing;
"The Road to Respect" by Stephen Manes

"  With initial DVI prices forecast at about $7,000 for an AT-compatible board
that basically gives you only playback capability, and perhaps $25,000 for a
full applications-development system that includes boards, system software,
authoring tools, and support, DVI is obviously aimed at the corporate market."

"And even with the tools ready to roll, developing interactive applications
will cost anywhere from $100,000 to Heaven's gate."

>Could the hardware be used to compress frames drawn in computer memory?  Ie:
>so you could draw a frame at a time, compress and store it, then play it
>back in real time?  (for use in creating animation)

Reprinted without permission from the March 1989 issue of PC Computing;
"The Road to Respect" by Stephen Manes

"  The dazzler of 1988 was real-time compression of both still and full-motion
digital video. Full-motion "edit-level" video looked a little jerky; it used
about 10 frames per second instead of the usual 30 in full-motion video. It was
enough to elicit more gasps, since it was intended primarily as a tool for
developers. By using a special Meiko parallel processor, it compressed video
images 60 times as fast as the old DEC VAX method."

[stuff deleted.]
[signature deleted.]

I would suggest obtaining a copy of the March 1989 issue of PC Computing, it
discussed DVI extensively, showed several screen shots, and also took a look
at DVI's competition, CD-I.  Considering the fact that to digitize standard
TV-quality video, you need about 600KB of data to store each thirtieth of a
second frame; DVI is a long way from being an impressive product, when it
comes to video reproduction, in my opinion.  Don't even mention HDTV!  hahaha...

					--Carmen

--
Carmen Maria Hardina, University of Hawaii at Manoa...
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bt455s39