[comp.sys.intel] New processor from Intel

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (09/13/89)

A business show reported that Intel announced a new processor
on Tuesday (Sept 12). Is this new to stock market folks
or the 80586?
--
Anthony
//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (09/14/89)

	It is most likely the intel 80486.

in article <1084@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) says:
> 	It is most likely the intel 80486.

No, it is the i960

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home: ...uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (09/15/89)

The new microprocessor Inte{l announced on the 12th was the 960CA, a new
implementation of the 80960 architecture.  It is a very interesting and
fast part, capable of dispatching two instructions per clock, and rated
at 25 to 32 VAX MIPS -- yet priced at only $312 for the 33-MHz part, less
for slower versions.  However, it is aimed solely at embedded control, and
has no MMU or FPU. Perhaps someone from Intel can take it from here.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com
550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306   415/494-2677

peter@guardian.UUCP (peter) (09/16/89)

In article <16368@watdragon.waterloo.edu> afscian@violet.waterloo.edu
(Anthony Scian) writes:
>A business show reported that Intel announced a new processor
>on Tuesday (Sept 12). Is this new to stock market folks
>or the 80586?
>--
>Anthony

The 80960CA was just announced, the "66 MIPS" member of the 80960 32-bit
embedded controller family.  Look in comp.arch for (expected) discussion,
followup directed there.
Peter Plamondon, Intel Corp, 5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR  97124-6497
Internet: peter@langlab1.hf.intel.com                           +1 503-696-5219
UUNET   : uunet!intelhf!langlab1!peter     "I speak for myself, as best I can."
UUCP    : tektronix!psueea!foobar!langlab1.hf.intel.com!peter

jim@jose.uucp (Jim) (09/16/89)

In article <16368@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:
> A business show reported that Intel announced a new processor
> on Tuesday (Sept 12). Is this new to stock market folks
> or the 80586?

Aparently they have announced/release/whatever their future plans for
chip development.  In the 8086 binary compatible line, and according to
Info World August 28, 1989 page 1 ....

The 80586 will contain 4 million transitors (4 times the 486).

They plan to have the 40-MHz i468 out by 4th quarter, and 50 MHz out by the
end of 1990.  There will be a second level of cache controller availaible for
the i486 by mid 1990.

(I know, everyone already knows about the 486.  Ok... besides the general
 announcement that the 586 will be, the article continues...)

 By late 1996, the Intel i686 will appear, containing 22 million transistors,
 and by 2000, the 100-million transistor i786 will appear, running at
 (are you ready for this) 250 MHz, while occupying only 1 square inch.
 They plan to keep the chips binary-compatible with todays 80X86 machines.

 The article indicates that David House, Intel senior vice president,
 speaking at the SCO Forum on the U of Calif at Santa Cruz was the source of
 the information.