[comp.sys.intel] What does Intel stand for?

4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/02/89)

I have a question that sounds so simple, I hope someone can give me a hand.
What does INTEL stand for??
Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Patrick Bradd
University of Western Ontario Computer Science.

spangler@pcocd2.intel.com (Steve Spangler ~) (10/02/89)

In article <3859.25261434@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I have a question that sounds so simple, I hope someone can give me a hand.
>What does INTEL stand for??
>Help is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks
>
>Patrick Bradd
>University of Western Ontario Computer Science.

The name INTEL comes from "INTegrated ELectronics"

Steve

mkahn@cmdnfs (Mitch Kahn) (10/03/89)

In article <3859.25261434@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I have a question that sounds so simple, I hope someone can give me a hand.
>What does INTEL stand for??
>Help is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks
>
>Patrick Bradd
>University of Western Ontario Computer Science.

Integrated Electronics, therefore the dropped "e" in the logo.

Mitch

       . ::.... ::  ;           not my beautiful wife...how did i get here?
::.   .:      : :: ;
:: . . : ::...: ::<      Mail:	mkahn@cmdnfs.intel.COM
::  "  : ::...: :: `.           mkahn@lost.in.space.rerun.COM

tim@eagle.hf.intel.com.ogc.edu (10/03/89)

4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>I have a question that sounds so simple, I hope someone can give me a hand.
>What does INTEL stand for??

I don't have any of our company history info nearby, but I think it stands
for "INTegrated ELectronics" (thus the dropped "e").  I don't think it stands
for that, but that is WHY the name came to be.  These days, INTEL stands for
INTEL, a company name made up some 20+ years ago.

Tim Forsyth (speaking for myself, not Intel)
OEM MicroComputer Platforms Division, Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR.