[comp.sys.intel] INTEL 310

bender@oobleck.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (09/18/89)

I haven't seen much activity (zero actually) on comp.sys.intel.ipsc310
is there anyone out there that's got a 310 (running xenix or rmx) that
may have missed this newsgroup and wants to talk about it?  I've got a
310 running xenix at home, and I'd hate to think that I'm the only person
in North America doing this.... but maybe so.

mike bender

michael bender - bender@sun                (can't think of a witty thing
 415 336-6353 (w)  415 941-3864 (h)         to put here yet)

In article <124864@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, bender@oobleck.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
> I haven't seen much activity (zero actually) on comp.sys.intel.ipsc310
> is there anyone out there that's got a 310 (running xenix or rmx) that
> may have missed this newsgroup and wants to talk about it?  I've got a
> 310 running xenix at home, and I'd hate to think that I'm the only person
> in North America doing this.... but maybe so.

	You are not the only one...  We still have a number of 310's and
and 310/311's running applications for scientific instruments and data
acquisiton.  In all cases the systems have one or more analog I/O boards
made by Burr-Brown and other vendors in the Multibus cardcage.  Most of the
systems run XENIX, but two run RMX-86.  We also bought MS-DOS from Intel,
but never used it for anything.  PLM-86 sucks; whatever we have written
has been in C or assembly language.

	For various reasons which are too complex to explain here, we
haven't done any new 310 applications in 1-1/2 years, though.  We now use
a CMOS STD bus with 16-bit processors for all analog and instrument
interface, which either operate standalone or communicate with 3B2's
or 386 PC's running UNIX for more complex applications.  Size and cost
were some of the more important reasons for the migration from the 310.

	Incidently, if the price were right, I could be interested in
buying spare 310 systems and/or components.  We are committed to keeping
our systems running for a while, and the Intel prices are not exactly
bargains.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (09/18/89)

In article <124864@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> bender@oobleck.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
>I haven't seen much activity (zero actually) on comp.sys.intel.ipsc310
>is there anyone out there that's got a 310 (running xenix or rmx) that
>may have missed this newsgroup and wants to talk about it?  I've got a
>310 running xenix at home, and I'd hate to think that I'm the only person
>in North America doing this.... but maybe so.
>
>mike bender

>michael bender - bender@sun                (can't think of a witty thing
> 415 336-6353 (w)  415 941-3864 (h)         to put here yet)

I use my SO's Intel 310AP.  They are pretty good for C programming and the
like, but for CPU-intensive stuff they suck, like any 286 would I assume.
We have an Intel iSBC 286/12 CPU board w/1MB of RAM, iSBC 040EX 4MB RAM
expansion board, 2 Intel iSBC 188(56) intelligent I/O cards, Intel 214 disk
controller, Archive 45MB streaming tape drive, and a Maxtor 140MB hard disk.
It isn't bad for a 286, especially compared to ISA-type systems.

Got an upgrade to Intel XENIX 3.5 but haven't loaded it yet.

One interesting thing I found about the Intel XENIX 3.4 Development Package
is that when loaded on a SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 system, will produce much
smaller, optimized 8086/80186/80286 XENIX (v5, not v3 like on the Intel box)
binaries than the SCO Development package.  They also execute faster.

Has anybody ever gotten fixbb to actually fix a bad block and not screw up
some other part of the partition in the process?   I think it worked once.

Anyways, please follow-up to comp.sys.intel.ipsc310...

					--Carmen

--
Carmen Maria Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu

mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) (09/19/89)

The comp.sys.intel.ipsc310 conference is for discussion of Intel's ipsc
hypercube computer.

bender@oobleck2.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (09/19/89)

In article <806@sdrc.UUCP> mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:

>The comp.sys.intel.ipsc310 conference is for discussion of Intel's ipsc
>hypercube computer.

oh, I guess you're right, isn't the hypercube made up of a cube (what else)
of 310's?  I only scanned the product literature sheets a few years ago
and I seem to remember that was it's organization.  Sandy, could you
e-mail me (or post to comp.sys.intel.ipsc310) with some more info on the
hypercube?  Do you think the comp.sys.intel.ipsc310 people would mind a
side thread of discussion about the 310 itself?  I don't know that it
warrants a seperate newsgroup, and I don't know if comp.sys.intel is
the right place to discuss it either (seems to be mostly about the 486,
586, 686, 786, 886, 986, 1086, 1186... well, you get the idea).

thanks,
mike

morrison@ficc.uu.net (Brad Morrison) (09/19/89)

In article <4874@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:

> Got an upgrade to Intel XENIX 3.5 but haven't loaded it yet.

Ahh, it's not worth the time & trouble incurred by having to nurse the upgrade
along unless you go as far as 3.5.2, where some tools have been expanded.
There's also a few new ones, but nothing necessary.

> Has anybody ever gotten fixbb to actually fix a bad block and not screw up
> some other part of the partition in the process?   I think it worked once.

We've had several problems with this utility, not the least of which is the
fact that the block number is stored as an integer.  Imagine what happens
when you try to run 'fixbb' to exclude block #98062, for example.  Yep,
integer overflow, and subsequent exclusion of the wrong block (!).  Intel
shipped us a replacement which uses a long to store the block number (yep,
it's exactly two bytes larger than the original), and informed us that it
wasn't being officially shipped to anyone else.

Also, 'fixbb' only works on data blocks, so if your bad block is an inode
block or a cylinder group header, you're out of luck, unless

	o   you have a CRC error--we've had quite a bit of luck
	    writing a block of nulls atop these.  We usually try
	    this before using 'fixbb', because 'fixbb' makes the
	    block forever inaccessible, and necessitates an 'fsck'
	    to fix the DUP block left behind.

	o   you have some way to save/restore the rest of the track,
	    in which case you can re-format the track and put
	    everything else back.

> Anyways, please follow-up to comp.sys.intel.ipsc310...

In article <806@sdrc.UUCP>, mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:

: The comp.sys.intel.ipsc310 conference is for discussion of Intel's ipsc
: hypercube computer.

So I followed up to comp.sys.intel . . .
--
Brad Morrison                (713) 274-5449 | "Ha, Ha!!  I've killed the Devil!
Ferranti International Controls Corporation |  Now we may all do as we like."

mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) (09/21/89)

If your running unix on the 310 the best place for discussions would be
comp.unix.i386.

If xx-DOS then probably comp.sys.ibm.pc since the 310 is like a pc clone.

Sandy

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/21/89)

In article <818@sdrc.UUCP> mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:
>If your running unix on the 310 the best place for discussions would be
>comp.unix.i386.
>
>If xx-DOS then probably comp.sys.ibm.pc since the 310 is like a pc clone.

I can't agree -- there are 310-specific issues of interest to users,
especially configuration stuff which will be absolute greek to users
of ordinary XT/AT/MCA bus users.

Also Intel XENIX is not UNIX and does not require (or exploit) a 386.
It is a 286 + Multibus based product.  XENIX issues are of course
appropriate for the xenix newsgroup.
--
Tom Neff                                UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."        Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) (09/23/89)

I stand (sit) corrected. Thanks, Tom.

>Also Intel XENIX is not UNIX...

Most other systems derived from UNIX aren't, in the strict legal sense,
UNIX, but so what?  Better reasons for discussing it in "comp.unix.xenix"
rather than "comp.unix.i386" are that 1) it's not specifically a 386
UNIX and 2) "comp.unix.xenix" is probably better focused on Xenix
issues than "comp.unix.i386" is.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/24/89)

In article <2484@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Also Intel XENIX is not UNIX...
>
>Most other systems derived from UNIX aren't, in the strict legal sense,
>UNIX, but so what?

So not much, except Intel XENIX has nothing to do with *386* UNIX which
was the original suggestion.  It was not my intention to fan the general
is-Xenix-Unix flames.

There are two kinds of problems that can crop up on an Intel 310 XENIX
box:  the ones that are caused by the 310 being such a weird beast, and
the ones caused by XENIX being such a weird beast regardless of
platform.  What I am suggesting is that if it's a 310 question it
belongs here; if it's a XENIX question it belongs in c.u.x.  If the
questioner isn't sure, crosspost.
--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bender@oobleck.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (09/24/89)

Wow!  I didn't know my one simple question about if there are any
people running XENIX on a 310 would generate so much debate about
which group it belongs in!  Is there enough interest to try to get
a newsgroup specific to 310 XENIX?  The xenix newsgroup is mostly
concerned with SCO and Interactive XENIX running on AT's and 386's,
and this newsgroup seems mostly interested in disseminating the
latest product announcements from INTEL about the X86 processor.

Let me know (via email to: bender@sun) if you would be interested
in another newsgroup devoted to INTEL XENIX on a 310 (or 320).
Then there's always the question about INTEL UNIX...

mike

In article <124935@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, bender@oobleck2.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) writes:
> side thread of discussion about the 310 itself?  I don't know that it
> warrants a seperate newsgroup, and I don't know if comp.sys.intel is
> the right place to discuss it either (seems to be mostly about the 486,
> 586, 686, 786, 886, 986, 1086, 1186... well, you get the idea).

I think comp.sys.intel is the best place to discuss the 310. comp.unix.xenix
seems to be mainly for folks running one of the system-V based xenixes on
IBM-clones. Sigh. Crossposting to comp.unix.xenix might be an idea, though.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

In article <818@sdrc.UUCP>, mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:
> If your running unix on the 310 the best place for discussions would be
> comp.unix.i386.

The 310 is a 286 machine. And it generally comes with a System-III-based
version of Xenix or with RMX-86.

> If xx-DOS then probably comp.sys.ibm.pc since the 310 is like a pc clone.

And it doesn't run xx-dos at all, it's got a multibus.

Are you confusing the 310 with the 302?
--

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/27/89)

In article <6321@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> If xx-DOS then probably comp.sys.ibm.pc since the 310 is like a pc clone.
>
>And it doesn't run xx-dos at all, it's got a multibus.
>
>Are you confusing the 310 with the 302?

Actually in the bad old days there was an MS-DOS (*not* PC-DOS) for the
310.  Generic MS-DOS doesn't need any part of the XT/AT bus, it only
needs to be able to provide the INT 21H services.  A concrete example
was the old GRiD Compass portable which had an 80C86 based non-PC
motherboard and an OEM version of MS-DOS.  (Among other things this
beast flew in the Space Shuttle middeck for experiment support, until
the recent upgrade to Gridcase 386's.)  Unfortunately the market
decided this was a useless distinction, MS-DOS now equals PC-DOS and
Intel doesn't support DOS on the 310.

It does look as if the other fellow was thinking of a 302, though.
I wish we could corral some folks who actually know an Intel chassis
from a jukebox and get some discussion going in here. :-)
--
"DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT blow the hatch!"  /)\   Tom Neff
"Roger....hatch blown!"                   \(/   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (09/27/89)

In article <6321@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <818@sdrc.UUCP>, mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:
>> If xx-DOS then probably comp.sys.ibm.pc since the 310 is like a pc clone.
>
>And it doesn't run xx-dos at all, it's got a multibus.

The Intel 310 does run Intel MS-DOS, V2.x and supports mixed DOS/XENIX
partitions.  That is why Intel XENIX is one of the few System III-based
operating systems to feature dosxx commands.  (i.e. doscp, dosdir, etc.)
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator

In article <14739@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>It does look as if the other fellow was thinking of a 302, though.
>I wish we could corral some folks who actually know an Intel chassis
>from a jukebox and get some discussion going in here. :-)

I tried, but I happened to mention following-up to a different newsgroup
at the end of my original reply and the rest is history....

Has anyone had any luck with Sperry/Intel NFS via OpenNet/Ethernet?

					--Carmen
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!islenet!manapua!carmen

bender@oobleck.Central.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (09/27/89)

well, since I started the 310 discussion several weeks ago, I guess
it's time I posted something.  I've been keeping all the responses
concerning the 310 and which newsgroup it belongs in, and the top
two contenders are (no surprise) comp.sys.intel and comp.sys.intel.ipsc310

I'd like to suggest that we move the 310 discussion to ipsc310, assuming
there are not too many complaints from the hypercube people (remember,
the hypercube used 310's).

I'll describe what I do with my 310 and maybe that will get some discussion
going (other than which newsgroups it belongs in).

I've got a 310 with a 286/10 (6 MhZ 80286), 1-1/2 Mb RAM (010CX and 012CX),
544A (4-port serial controller with an 8085 on-board), 186/78A (INTEL's
VDI graphics board, running now with 640 X 480 16 color resolution and
with an iSBX354 dual serial card, one channel for the Honeywell LYNX
trackball and one for the Keytronics VT100-style keyboard), i215G wini
controller with i218 5-1/4" floppy drive (360K and 720K), i217 cart
tape controller with tape drive (for those ever-fun "backups", I had
the look the word up in the dictonary, I don't use it often enough) and
an iSXM552S ethernet controller, which I use to connect up to a
PC-LINK II ethernet card in my PC, so I can use the XENIX system as
a file server for the PC.  I've also managed to collect some assorted
multibus boards (bubble memory, prototyping, etc...) and some bitbus
boards that I've used osver the years on various projects.

I've written several device drivers for XENIX 3.4/3.5.2, most notably
the 186/78A graphics board driver, since INTEL didn't have a version
of the driver that ran on the version of XENIX I was running.  I've also
had the *interesting* experience of using the PROM debugger while XENIX
was temporarily halted (by pressing the green I button) to play around
with device registers and things like that in the course of debugging
drivers.  Symbolic kernal debugger?  Sure, if you consider FE73C9 to
be a symbol.

I've also written and ported a lot of code (the standards like JOVE/EMACS/
(un)compress) and have a really neat piece of software that I wrote
after giving up in frustration trying to get "screen" (PD multi-screen
program) to port, that's a multi-screen window manager.

Please excuse what may sound like bragging, I just want to get some
discussion going with other people that have enriched their gutter
language vocabulary when XENIX crashes or a tty process hangs at 3AM!!

mike

p.s. yes, I also ran MS-DOS 2.1 on the 310 for a while, and contemplated
wiring in a CGA board to one of my empty multibus prototype cards,
but thought better of it.

kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) (10/07/89)

In article <4935@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
> In article <14739@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
> :
> Has anyone had any luck with Sperry/Intel NFS via OpenNet/Ethernet?

NFS and OpenNET each reach to level 7 of the ISO networking layers so
I'm not sure what you mean by your question.

OpenNET works fine.  We are using it both in 310s via SBC552 boards
as well as on PCLINKII.  What do you mean by "Sperry/Intel NFS"?
--
Randy Kunkee
Ferranti International Controls Corporation

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (10/07/89)

In article <6447@ficc.uu.net> kunkee@ficc.uu.net (randy kunkee XNX MGR) writes:
>In article <4935@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>> In article <14739@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>> :
>> Has anyone had any luck with Sperry/Intel NFS via OpenNet/Ethernet?
>>

>NFS and OpenNET each reach to level 7 of the ISO networking layers so
>I'm not sure what you mean by your question.

Well, OpenNET does support distributed file systems (NFS) among Sperry/Intel
host on an Ethernet LAN.  What I should have said was, has anyone had much
trouble installing this OpenNET configuration, it wasn't as easy as I thought.
I helped a friend of mine do it.

>OpenNET works fine.  We are using it both in 310s via SBC552 boards
>as well as on PCLINKII.  What do you mean by "Sperry/Intel NFS"?

Unisys supports OpenNET running on their hardware under military contracts.
The Army especially has bought tons of Intel and Unisys UNIX boxes.

					--Carmen
--

kunkee@ficc.uu.net (Randy Kunkee) (10/12/89)

In article <5047@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
> Unisys supports OpenNET running on their hardware under military contracts.
> The Army especially has bought tons of Intel and Unisys UNIX boxes.

I've heard this is true, but apparently Unisys charged pretty outrageous
amounts of money to do it and they can't sell it to the public for less.
Does anybody know any more about this?

Carmen, which "Unisys" Unix boxes are you talking about?  The 5000 series
(including Arix), the 6000 series (including Sequent), or the 7000 series?
--
Randy Kunkee