[comp.sys.intel] ASM80/ PL/M-80

peter@guardian.UUCP (peter) (11/10/89)

In article <31021@max.mips.COM> freeptos@mips.COM (Dan Freitas) writes:
|Does anyone know where to find an 8085 assembler or a PL/M compiler that runs
|on an IBM-PC/AT?  On one side of the ol' hobby room sits a #$%*@ single
|floppy, IPDS system that feels like a 1Khz PC.  On the other side is a
|20Mhz-386 machine....
|
|					 Thanks for any leads,
|					             Dan Freitas
|--
|UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!freeptos
|USPS : Mips Computer Systems; 930 Arques Ave; Sunnyvale, Ca  94086
|PHONE: 408-991-0217

I'm assuming you're interested in running the language tools from the iPDS on
your 386 system to get quicker assembles/compiles.  Assuming that's right...

Intel's 8080/8085 languages ran under the ISIS operating system on the "blue
box" systems (Series I-IV as I recall).  I've seen advertisements in the
technical PC magazines for ISIS emulators that run on DOS, they would let you
run those old Intel compilers.

Usual disclaimer, this is based on my recollection of those tools and may be
wrong, I'm not speaking on behalf of Intel Corp, etc, etc.
Peter Plamondon, Intel Corp, 5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR  97124-6497
Internet: peter@langlab1.hf.intel.com                           +1 503-696-5219
UUNET   : uunet!intelhf!langlab1!peter     "I speak for myself, as best I can."
UUCP    : tektronix!psueea!foobar!langlab1.hf.intel.com!peter

johnk@opel.uu.net (John Kennedy) (11/13/89)

>Does anyone know where to find an 8085 assembler or a PL/M compiler that runs
>on an IBM-PC/AT?  On one side of the ol' hobby room sits a #$%*@ single
>floppy, IPDS system that feels like a 1Khz PC.  On the other side is a
>20Mhz-386 machine....
>
>					 Thanks for any leads,
>					             Dan Freitas

My 8085 cross-assembler runs under MS-DOS, and, to quote the manual, is from:

Microtec Research
505 West Olive Ave, Ste 325
P.O. Box 60337
Sunnyvale, CA 94088

(408) 980-1300

The address may be obsolete; this is not a new product.  I have talked
to them at the above number in the last year.

It generates one large absolute object, or relocatables and comes with a
linker.

Now -

Does anyone know of a good (even bad) 8085 software emulator/debugger
for MS-DOS?

John
--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.uu.uunet
Second Source, Inc.

In article <298@guardian.UUCP> peter@langlab1.hf.intel.com (Peter Plamondon) writes:
> Intel's 8080/8085 languages ran under the ISIS operating system on the "blue
> box" systems (Series I-IV as I recall).  I've seen advertisements in the
> technical PC magazines for ISIS emulators that run on DOS, they would let you
> run those old Intel compilers.

Unfortunately (and this is why I haven't piped up before now) all these
products seem to require a V20-based PC so you can run in virtual-8080
mode.

Does NEC have an 80386 with a virtual-8080 mode yet? :->
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/16/89)

In article <6963@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Does NEC have an 80386 with a virtual-8080 mode yet? :->

NEC has indicated that it is dropping the 8080 mode in all of its new
products.

Benson, you are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence.
kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley