[comp.sys.intel] Apple & Xerox -- Was Re: 286 Billboards

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/27/89)

In article <7101@ficc.uu.net> karl@ficc.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>It's little wonder Apple is trying to use the legal system to stake out
>substantial protection for concepts and ideas they more or less got from
>Xerox, since that's about the only thing they have to differentiate themselves
>from everybody else.
>--

Apple bought the desktop metaphore fair and square, and Xerox has a big
chunk of Apple stock to prove it.
Benson, you are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence.
                                      Evil to Benson in Time Bandits
kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

In article <2263@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
> Apple bought the desktop metaphore fair and square, and Xerox has a big
> chunk of Apple stock to prove it.

And did they buy exclusive rights?

If not, then it's Xerox who has been ripped off. Let then worry about it.

Apple has a small number of innovations that they added to the Xerox
metaphor: menu bars, the trashcan, and double-clicking are about it. And
these are just the things that make Apple's desktop less intuitive than
Xerox'. Sigh...
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/29/89)

A recent issue of IEEE Computer or Micro or Computer Graphics &
Applications magazine had an article from the original designers of
Xerox's graphics interface. According to them, the current Apple version
differs substantially from what they had, and what Xerox currently
sells. I got the impression that Xerox's system is a lot more powerful
and elegant still, compared to Apple's.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/30/89)

In article <7129@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2263@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>> Apple bought the desktop metaphore fair and square, and Xerox has a big
>> chunk of Apple stock to prove it.
>
>And did they buy exclusive rights?
>
>If not, then it's Xerox who has been ripped off. Let then worry about it.

Well they must have, because Microsoft went to Apple to get it, not to Xerox.

Chewey, get us outta here!

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (12/05/89)

In article <2263@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

| Apple bought the desktop metaphore fair and square, and Xerox has a big
| chunk of Apple stock to prove it.
| 	[  insults deleted  ]

  Please quote source for this info. I have never seen a report of the
price paid for Xerox rights being even a million. That's not a big chunk
of anything at Apple. I have seen $250-400k frequently in articles about
the Apple-Microsoft lawsuit.

  Note that I am not claiming the poster is wrong, just noting that I
would like a source I could verify.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen