[comp.sys.intel] i860

sullivan@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Rob Sullivan) (07/05/89)

Does anyone have any up to date information about the new Intel i860
chip as our department is thinking of investing in a parallel machine based
around 4 such processors. We also need 16MB of fast memory on each chip so
that they may be used separately to run our code which involves very large
matrix manipulation......is this configuration possible now and if not when
can we expect to see such items in the U.K.

                                   Thanks in advance,

                                                            Rob...

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (07/09/89)

>Does anyone have any up to date information about the new Intel i860
>chip as our department is thinking of investing in a parallel machine based
>around 4 such processors. We also need 16MB of fast memory on each chip so
>that they may be used separately to run our code which involves very large
>matrix manipulation......is this configuration possible now and if not when
>can we expect to see such items in the U.K.

The i860 is still in a very early sampling stage, and the only chips that
have been distributed are quite buggy.  Intel officially will only say
that they are on schedule for general sampling in the third quarter.
I've been told that first silicon on the "B" step, which is hoped to fix
the bugs, came off the line last week, and I haven't been able to find out
how it is working.

If you're looking for a system in the next 6 months or so, I wouldn't
consider the i860.  I'd expect it to be a year before systems are shipping
with reasonable software and short bug lists.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report    mslater@cup.portal.com
550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306  415/494-2677
fax: 415/494-3718

jsb@ssf.uucp (John Barr) (09/12/89)

Given the amount of interest being generated by the i860 I have been
surprised at the lack of comment on USENET. Am I looking in the wrong
place?

I would be interested to hear what people are doing (or planning to do)
with i860s (hardware and software), as well as general comments on what you
think it is good at / bad at / etc.

Please mail reponses to me and I will post a message summarizing responses
if anything interesting comes through.

Thanks

John
--
John Barr                                 System Software Factors Ltd
Email: jsb@ssf.co.uk                      Chiltern Chambers, St Peters Avenue

zhe@snow-gate.ece.syr.edu (Zhe Li) (01/05/90)

Hi!
I need some help.
I am working on Intel i860 processor.
Could you give me information about programming tools for i860
(e.g. gcc compiler for i860)?
Could you tell me some people who can give me more help ?

Thanks.

ken@metaware.metaware.com (ken) (01/08/90)

In article <2186@cmx.npac.syr.edu> zhe@snow-gate.ece.syr.edu (Zhe Li) writes:
->I am working on Intel i860 processor.
->Could you give me information about programming tools for i860

MetaWare of Santa Cruz, CA has a nice compiler and linker for the i860...

-Ken
--
Ken

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (01/09/90)

last i heard rms was hired by intel to do the port.

the i860 is their risc chip, non?

rob
--
			  william robertson