[comp.sys.intel] 486

ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) (01/23/90)

I haven't been in touch with the real world for a few weeks now, so
I need to know if Intel has posponed the release of the 486 chip, or
if Intel has canned the the release of the 486 chip.  I have heard
rumors of both, but I figure someone reading this news group could
better inform me.  I've written to Intel about it, but I'm still waiting
for a respose.

--

T. Tim Hsu                           UUCP    ...pur-ee!ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
                                     ARPA    ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

rvireday@pldote.intel.com (~Richard Vireday) (01/24/90)

In article <6641@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

>I haven't been in touch with the real world for a few weeks now, so

I'll say!  Intel just announced 1989 revenues.  Along with the announcement
was some comments saying that demand for the i486 is "strong"(1).  Tim, what
you probably heard about was echoes of the bugs announced in November.  I believe
that most have been fixed, or fixes are published.   Intel is obviously
not going to stop production of it's next big moneymaker.

(1) Dataquest report, Monday January 22, 1990

--Richard Vireday
  Intel Corporation               ...!{intelhf|intelca}!mipos3!pldote!rvireday3
------------
Disclaimer:  These are my opinions, except those I borrowed.

wbeebe@bilver.UUCP (bill beebe) (01/24/90)

In article <6641@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

>I haven't been in touch with the real world for a few weeks now, so
>I need to know if Intel has posponed the release of the 486 chip, or
>if Intel has canned the the release of the 486 chip.  I have heard
>rumors of both, but I figure someone reading this news group could
>better inform me.  I've written to Intel about it, but I'm still waiting
>for a respose.

Yes, you *have* been out of touch with rumors like that. Intel has fixed
the "obscure" floating point bug in the internal FPU and is now churning
them out as fast as they can. I think Intel would release buggy silicon
before they'd ever "can" the 80486. And I believe the silicon on the 486
is cleaner in this release than that for the 80386 when it was first
released.