[comp.sys.intel] 386sx

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (03/06/90)

i think sx chips kinda , well, they seem to be ...  they suck, don't they??

sx machines don't run stuff, they hang up..   i hate them. even Epson.

haha, Pioneer Corp. or something has a 20 MHZclock on their sx board....
and they think it works!!!!  HAHAHHAHA

gaabidge....

anyone agree?

tim
.

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (03/07/90)

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:

>sx machines don't run stuff, they hang up..   i hate them. even Epson.

Even Epson?!?  Man, you must *really* hate 'em!

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/08/90)

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:

>sx machines don't run stuff, they hang up..   i hate them. even Epson.

What stuff don't they run?  My SX has run everything I've thrown at it;
ESIX, OS/2, all my MS-DOS stuff, including Desqview 386 and Windows 386.
Am I missing something?

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (03/10/90)

In article <3000@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
>
>>sx machines don't run stuff, they hang up..   i hate them. even Epson.
>
>What stuff don't they run?  My SX has run everything I've thrown at it;
>ESIX, OS/2, all my MS-DOS stuff, including Desqview 386 and Windows 386.
>Am I missing something?

Don't tell American Airlines.  They are buying several thousand AT&T 386/SX
machines.  From what I hear, they did a _very_ exhaustive test on them,
and couldn't find one incompatibility.  The motherboard is a Intel design.
It has the floppy disk controller, hard disk controller, VGA, two serial
and one parallel ports on the motherboard, up to 8mb of RAM, plus 4 slots.
It's a very nice box.  The configuration I saw was very clean - with what's
already on the motherboard, you don't need any cards.

And I can't imagine Intel designing a motherboard that wouldn't run right.

Mike Morris                      Internet:  Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 Misslenet: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     Bellnet:   818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     Radionet:  WA6ILQ

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) (03/13/90)

In article <3060@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) writes:
(lots of stuff deleted)

> And I can't imagine Intel designing a motherboard that wouldn't run right.

You're lucky you didn't try running Xenix 2.3.2GT on the early (beta)
revs of the Intel 303 motherboard ('386/33Mhz).  Wouldn't boot at all,
due to an interrupt handling problem.  I found the problem, passed it
along to SCO, who made it into an SLS (xnx151).  Intel has subsequently
rev'd the motherboard, and now all is well.

Kind of.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.