[comp.sys.intel] 80960KA and KB

dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) (12/20/89)

Does anyone know the die size and technology used on the 80960KA and
80960KB parts?

As well, is there any public information available on the 16-bit bus
version of the 960 series parts?

Thanks in advance!

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|hoptoad|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr%daver@uunet.uu.net

dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) (12/22/89)

In article <1989Dec20.014428.9785@daver.UU.NET> dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) writes:
>Does anyone know the die size and technology used on the 80960KA and
>80960KB parts?

Well - the die size is 400x400, in case anyone is interested. No one
replied, so we cracked one open to have a peek. The pads are all
on one corner of the die (strange, just like the pinout :-), and they
appear to use a multi-layer assembly to carry the signals to the
external PGA pins. The die looks packed, with features right to
the edge where there are not pads. I assume that it is 1.2 micro
geometry, but we haven't checked this yet. If anyone has more
information, please let me know.

Wonder if this voids the warranty?
--

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (12/23/89)

>>Does anyone know the die size and technology used on the 80960KA and
>>80960KB parts?
>
>Well - the die size is 400x400, in case anyone is interested. No one
>replied, so we cracked one open to have a peek. The pads are all
>on one corner of the die (strange, just like the pinout :-), and they
>appear to use a multi-layer assembly to carry the signals to the
>external PGA pins. The die looks packed, with features right to
>the edge where there are not pads. I assume that it is 1.2 micro
>geometry, but we haven't checked this yet. If anyone has more
>information, please let me know.

My notes say 350,000 transistors.  I assume this is what is actually on
the chip, which is much more than it takes to implement the specified
KA/KB functions.  Even chips sold as KA's include not only the KB and MC
functions, but also stuff for BiiN that has never been documented by Intel
for their customers.

The real question of interest is "how many transistors would it take to
implement a 960KA" -- assuming that no FPU, MMU, etc was included.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com
550 California Ave., Suite 320, Palo Alto, CA 94306
415/494-2677   fax: 415/494-3718

friedman@col.hp.com (John Friedman) (03/07/90)

/ col:comp.sys.intel / mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) / 10:00 am  Dec 22, 1989 /

> ... Even chips sold as KA's include not only the KB and MC
> functions, but also stuff for BiiN that has never been documented by Intel
> for their customers.

What does BiiN mean?

John Friedman
Hewlett Packard
Colorado Springs Division
friedman@col

mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) (03/10/90)

> What does BiiN mean?

well, since BiiT stands for "Because it is There", BiiN must be "... Not".

Isn't it a Siemens/Intel venture to produce Ada systems?

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (03/10/90)

>> ... Even chips sold as KA's include not only the KB and MC
>> functions, but also stuff for BiiN that has never been documented by Intel
>> for their customers.
>
>What does BiiN mean?

Billions invested in Nothing.

(I don't know if it had a serious derivation as well)

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com

jerry@donk.UUCP (jerry) (03/13/90)

In article <3430002@col.hp.com> friedman@col.hp.com (John Friedman) writes:
>/ col:comp.sys.intel / mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) / 10:00 am  Dec 22, 1989 /
>
>> ... Even chips sold as KA's include not only the KB and MC
>> functions, but also stuff for BiiN that has never been documented by Intel
>> for their customers.
>
>What does BiiN mean?
>
>John Friedman
>Hewlett Packard
>Colorado Springs Division
>friedman@col

The same thing that XEROX means. Nothing. Just a very expensive name.

* Intel may own me body and soul, but these opinions are MINE. So there.  *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* jerry@orion1.hf.intel.com         You can find me either here or        *
* jerryg@bucket.uucp                there or                              *
* 74176.1024@compuserve.com         here                                  *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock. *

prune@myrddyn.hf.intel.com.ogi.edu (03/13/90)

In article <3430002@col.hp.com> friedman@col.hp.com (John Friedman) writes:
> What does BiiN mean?

   BiiN corporation was a joint venture of Intel Corp. and Siemens Akt. built
to finish development and exploit the technology produced by their in-house
cooperative Gemini project.  The P7 chip from this project is the parent of the
entire i80960 microprocessor (TM) family.
   The Gemini project hired an independent marketing organization to find a name
for this new venture.  "BiiN" was chosen because it is short, distinctive, is
pronounced like the first part of "binary", and incorporates a sequence that is
susceptible to trademarking, the double-i.  One of the jokes at the company's
founding was that we would soon file suit against the 50th state.
   It is quite normal to ask the derivation of the name, but the BiiN upper
management declined to proffer anything for which BiiN is an acronym.  I and
many other people warned them that if they didn't come up with one, there would
be several dozen very soon, and those would not be complimentary.  Upper mgt.
maintained that "BiiN" didn't stand for anything.  Upper mgt. lost on that one.
I will not darken the reputation of an excellent state-of-the-art operating
system and a well-designed chip by repeating those names here (besides, they're
not quite good enough for rec.humor.funny).
   BiiN finally diid late last year (siigh).  Requiesce in Pacem.

jerry@orion1.hf.intel.com (Jerry Gaiser) replied:
> The same thing that XEROX means. Nothing. Just a very expensive name.

   Not quite, Jerry: Xerox (TM) is derived from the word "xerography", from the
Greek roots for "dry" and "writing".  The process was developed in Astoria, OR
(at the mouth of the Columbia River) about 50 years ago (October, 1938 ?).
Many corporate names today are picked for pure marketing value (such as one of
the early ones, Kodak), but "Xerox" isn't one of them.
DISCLAIMER: Intel pays me well for the opinions it wants; the other stuff
   remains mine. Some of the latter is posted; it's worth what you paid for it.

Oregon: Home of the California Raisins

local backbone: tektronix	myrddyn!prune@uunet.uu.net
USA phone:  (503) 696-4668	prune@ijf2.hf.intel.com
Copyright (C) 1990, William D. Wickart.  All rights reserved.

ed@braaten.doit.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (03/14/90)

In article <1080@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU> mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) writes:
>> What does BiiN mean?
>
>well, since BiiT stands for "Because it is There", BiiN must be "... Not".
>
>Isn't it a Siemens/Intel venture to produce Ada systems?

It WAS a Siemens/Intel venture to produce fault-tolerant computer
systems.  It is no longer because Siemens/Intel decided that the
profits were too far out in the future.  As far as I know the name
is NOT an acronym...

        Ed Braaten             |  "For the wages of sin is death, but the
Work: ed@imuse.intel.com       |   gift of God is eternal life in Christ
Home: ed@braaten.doit.sub.org  |   Jesus our Lord."           Romans 6:23

peggy@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (03/16/90)

In article <622@braaten.doit.sub.org> ed@braaten.doit.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:
>In article <1080@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU> mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) writes:
>>> What does BiiN mean?
>>
>>well, since BiiT stands for "Because it is There", BiiN must be "... Not".
>>
>It WAS a Siemens/Intel venture to produce fault-tolerant computer
>systems.

Now, more than ever, "Billions invested in Nothing" seems fitting.

cris

rmb@omews59.intel.com (Bob Bentley) (03/20/90)

In article <1080@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU> mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) writes:
>> What does BiiN mean?
>
>well, since BiiT stands for "Because it is There", BiiN must be "... Not".
>
>Isn't it a Siemens/Intel venture to produce Ada systems?

BiiN *was* a joint venture between Intel and Siemens - it was terminated last
October.  The name itself was generated by one of those name search companies
and had no meaning (though the joke at Intel was that it stood for "Billions
Invested In Nothing").

	Bob Bentley

|	Intel Corp., M/S JF1-58			UUCP:   rmb@omefs3.intel.com   |