[comp.sys.intel] Intel/UNIX.

avilla@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Aldo Villa) (03/15/90)

I have heard that Intel makes its own version of UNIX. Is there anybody on the
network who can tell me something about? Where can I get detailed informations
from?
			   Thank you:
				      Aldo.

toms@omews44.intel.com (Tom Shott) (03/19/90)

Intel is marketing the ATT SysV V4 Unix which is stated to be a merge of
Sys V5 and BSD. I contacted the group selling it and it seems it's
everything they claim. As I understand it Intel did the port and your
buying shrink wrapped software.

From what I know about V4,  any BSD software should compile correctly along
with SunOS extensions. Only one question. Do the commands feel BSDish or
SysVish ?

I NEVER get to speak for Intel. I just called the 800 number.

Tom Shott    INTeL, 5200 Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124, (503) 696-4520
	     toms@mipon2.intel.com OR toms%mipon2.intel.com@csnet.relay.com
	INTeL.. Designers of the 960 Superscalar uP and other uP's

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (03/20/90)

In article <TOMS.90Mar18192729@omews44.intel.com> toms@omews44.intel.com (Tom Shott) writes:
>Intel is marketing the ATT SysV V4 Unix which is stated to be a merge of
>Sys V5 and BSD. ...

I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually laid eyes on a copy
of shrink-wrapped V.4 Unix.  Everyone I've talked to is still selling versions
of V.3.2.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

In article <TOMS.90Mar18192729@omews44.intel.com> toms@omews44.intel.com (Tom Shott) writes:

| Intel is marketing the ATT SysV V4 Unix which is stated to be a merge of
| Sys V5 and BSD. I contacted the group selling it and it seems it's
| everything they claim. As I understand it Intel did the port and your
| buying shrink wrapped software.

  I would like to know who you talked to, and where to order this,
because I don't think it's correct. I got two helpful notes from people
at Intel on my original posting. One was in documentation and stated
that they would see to it that the people answering the phone knew the
difference between V.3 and V.4, and the other stated that the UNIX
operation (formerly Bell Technologies) had the product in beta test at
present. Everyone indicated that the product was not even in controlled
release yet, much less for sale.

  If you want to tell me where to buy it *today* I would love to find
that I have talked to the wrong people at Intel. I have to make a
recommendation on upgrading some machines from Xenix, and configuring
some hundreds of embedded systems, and I have the impression that the
Intel product (and the INteractive 486/ix) are not currently
deliverable, and are not ready for production use yet.

  This is not a complaint, just a statement of the state of the
availability for V.4 at this time. My impression is that SCO is not
going to do V.4 until V.4.1 is out, but that was told to me
*unoficially* and is not claimed to be more than the statement of
someone who works there.

| From what I know about V4,  any BSD software should compile correctly along
| with SunOS extensions. Only one question. Do the commands feel BSDish or
| SysVish ?

  From the one chance I got to dial into a system at {site deleted} it
feels like SunOS. Most of the BSD commands are there, but where there
was a SysV versions of a command and a V7/BSD version, the old version
was dropped. As an example the pr command has all the SysV options.

  The shell appeared to be ksh88a, although I wouldn't swear to it. It
was newer than ksh86, and older than 88d, but beyond that I can't say.
One person at a major vendor (not AT&T) said that they were running it
on internal systems for production, and the reliability was "very good."
I am really looking forward to it.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

dar@max.intel.com (dar) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar19.193839.2695@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>,
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

> I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually laid eyes on a copy
> of shrink-wrapped V.4 Unix.  Everyone I've talked to is still selling
versions
> of V.3.2.
> --

There's been some confusion about 3.2 versus 5.4 from Intel.  Here's the
official scoop -

Intel now sells UNIX System V Release 3.2.2, the latest, greatest, 3.2.x
release, complete with accessory products in X, networking, etc.

Our 5.4 package is in Beta test.  You can apply to purchase a 5.4 package under
the Beta program by contacting the ISV relations group at 503-696-5796.  5.4
is an exceptionally "real" product.  The documentation is outstanding,
and covers
many topics in depth that were formerly not treated before (even those things
that were already in precursor releases).  Even the "Beta books" are published
in complete perfect bound trade book form, with 23 volumes and over
15,000 pages.

Other advances include what is easily the fastest C compiler in UNIX or
Xenix on
Intel processors today, with dramatically visible increases over the 3.2 series
compilers.  Likewise the file system is phenomenally faster with 2x or greater
performance over older systems.  This is even visible at the command line when
doing ls's and such.

Even in Beta, the 5.4 product is extremely stable, more so in my
personal opinion
than some commercially released 3.2 based products.  Pricing has already been
announced by Intel, and will be $995 for the complete product, including X and
dev tools and NFS and other accessories, for the full multi-user license.

Until the product has been released from Beta by AT&T, we will not
release it to
our sales force, so all requests for purchase must be addressed to the ISV
organization.   Look for special Intel deals in the near future for low cost,
automatic upgrades for 3.2 customers; however, for now, the standard
deal is 3.2.

We are working with AT&T and the other members of UNIX International to assure
all developers ready access to 5.4, and to accellerate availability of the ABI
standard to one and all at low cost and high quality.  As part of this
objective,
AT&T has held numerous seminars on 5.4 worldwide for many months, UNIX
International members have been closely involved, and very many ISVs
have become
involved in the beta program.  The details of 5.4 have been public
knowledge for
some time now; we hope that putting the books and a finished, polished binary
product into the market will assure total access to all in the months ahead

Please feel free to mail me direct with your comments and suggestions.

Dimitri Rotow
General Manager
Integrated MicroSystems Operation
(the UNIX people)