[comp.sys.intel] Pure speculation re:80586

battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) (09/12/90)

For your entertainment;

The 80386 can run in the virtual 8086 mode.

Is it outrageous to assume that Intel may build the 80586
to run in the virtual 80386 mode?

If so, each session could address 16 Meg of RAM and with
a fast enough cpu clock, one computer  could be a workstation
and a file server, IE. Novell, all at the same time.

Any comments?

37KGLLQ@CMUVM.BITNET (Tony Papadimitriou) (09/13/90)

>The 80386 can run in the virtual 8086 mode.
>
>Is it outrageous to assume that Intel may build the 80586
>to run in the virtual 80386 mode?
>
>If so, each session could address 16 Meg of RAM and with
>a fast enough cpu clock, one computer  could be a workstation
>and a file server, IE. Novell, all at the same time.
>
>Any comments?

The sad thing is that each 80386 virtual mode would also have to support
the virtual 8086 mode and that means DOS will never leave us alone :-)

paulc@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) (09/14/90)

> Is it outrageous to assume that Intel may build the 80586
> to run in the virtual 80386 mode?
>
> If so, each session could address 16 Meg of RAM and with
> a fast enough cpu clock, one computer  could be a workstation
> and a file server, IE. Novell, all at the same time.
>
> Any comments?

	Yeah.  The 80386 (DX) addresses 4 Gigabytes of memory,
	not 16 Megabytes (that is, 32 address lines, not 24).
	You must be thinking of either the 80286 or 80386SX.

	I would figure an 80386 or 80486, running in protected
	memory with paging turned on, would meet the criteria
	you indicated above.  The secret is to get the OS
	to use the capabilities of the chip.  Does anyone
	know if the SYS V Unix that runs on the 386 uses these
	capabilities?  Or does it run in a strictly flat memory
	space?

	The real question is:  what would you do to the 80586
	or 80686 to make it stand out from the 80486?  Just
	adding more peripherals wouldn't seem to be enough.
	Is added speed the only thing left without requiring a
	completely new architecture or OMF?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+	Paul Carroll			"I don't believe there is a single   +
+	HP Logic Systems Division	 man, woman, or child alive in       +
+	paulc%hp-lsd@hplabs.hp.com	 America today that doesn't enjoy a  +
+					 lovely beverage!" - David Letterman +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/14/90)

Well now that people are purely speculating on the 80586, which
will have real mode, virtual 8086 mode, 80286 protected mode, 80386
protected mode, virtual 80386 mode, and protected 80586 mode, how
about adding a 68000 mode to appeal to those folks that think you can
only write programs for a Motorola processor.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply :-)

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (09/16/90)

In article <7680003@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>	The real question is:  what would you do to the 80586
>	or 80686 to make it stand out from the 80486?  Just

The thing to do is to make the 80586 virtualize itself.  Have a v386 mode would
be cute, but would not solve any great problems.  Having a v586 more would
solve most of the currect ones.

Michael

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (09/17/90)

Intel could provide an option permitting each segment to have its own
page table.
--
Phone:	 (work) 219-482-9631  MCI mail: DFEUSTEL  BIX: FEUSTEL
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

danielce@ecr.mu.oz.au (Daniel Ake CAROSONE) (09/17/90)

In article <7680003@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>, paulc@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
> 	you indicated above.  The secret is to get the OS
> 	to use the capabilities of the chip.  Does anyone
> 	know if the SYS V Unix that runs on the 386 uses these
> 	capabilities?  Or does it run in a strictly flat memory
> 	space?

When I saw the details of the i386 and i486 adressing, segmenatation,
virtual memory within segments, etc. I said to myself:
  "This chip is designed to run MULTICS." All we have to do is get
rid of messy-dos :-)

For those who are not aware: MULTICS was an operating system designed
by CS people with a 'wishlist'. It was given up on, as the technology
at the time was not good enough to run it. UNIX started life as a single-
user much-simplified version of multics, with a much simpler (flat)
memory model. Now is the time to resurrect it!.

wsinpdb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (09/17/90)

In article <7680003@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>> Is it outrageous to assume that Intel may build the 80586
>> to run in the virtual 80386 mode?
What we need is a chip, say 80n86, which has a virtual 80n86 mode.
This would mean that if the system is running operating system A,
you can have a virtual operating system B running on it, or vice versa,
and both will see a real 80n86 processor.

So running DOS under Unix would yield a true 80n86 dos session for
instance (but you probably won't want to run dos on such a machine anymore).

If this is too difficult (wouldn't surprise me), now that we already
have an 80386 and 80486 I would even settle for an 80n86 which offered
virtual 80(n-1)86 capabilities. My first hope for the 80486 was that it
might offer a virtual 80386 mode, or even only a virtual 80286, but
Intel obviously didn't think that was important, though many people have
expressed the need for this.

If a new chip offers nothing more than just a higher speed, many users are
not going to care, as what is available now is more than fast enough for
most of us.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)