[comp.sys.intel] Bug in 486, how do I know?

attila@nmpbas.nmpcad.se (Attila Nemeth) (11/07/90)

I know that there are 486 machines floating around with bugs
in the CPU. Does anyone know how these chips are marked? Is
there any revision stamped on the chip?

I have a friend of mine who is going to buy a 486
motherboard, and he is afraid of getting those early "buggy"
486:s

Attila Nemeth |  Box 1193      | Electronic Mail:  attila@inmic.se  |
IM/NMPCAD     |  164 22 KISTA  | Voice:            +46 8 752 11 75  |
              |  SWEDEN        | Fax:              +46 8 750 80 56  |

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.114713.9146@sics.se> attila@nmpbas.nmpcad.se (Attila Nemeth) writes:
>I know that there are 486 machines floating around with bugs
>in the CPU. Does anyone know how these chips are marked? Is
>there any revision stamped on the chip?
>
>I have a friend of mine who is going to buy a 486
>motherboard, and he is afraid of getting those early "buggy"
>486:s

My 486, which I was told was a B5 when I bought it, was stamped GB5
on the bottom.  (Good place for it.)  The only way to tell is to
pry the damn thing out of the socket and look.  In my case, since I
bought the mb separate from the cpu, it was easy.  If you're buying
a mb/cpu package, you either have to:

    1.  Get them to show you.  (not necessarily easy to do)
    2.  Take their word.       (do you trust them?)
    3.  Buy from a reputable source.  (pay through the nose)

While were on the subject, I've heard that B5 had some bugs that only
affected UNIX math.  Can anyone confirm?  So far I've not had any
problems.  I've also heard of B6 and C0 revs.  Any known bugs there?

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

"So that's what an invisible barrier looks like!"