[comp.sys.intel] Inboard 386/?? What's the deal?

moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) (12/08/90)

I've been wanting to upgrade to a 386 via an accelerator card but I
Haven't been able to find any literature on thing. What's worse is that
I've found a limited time only deal for an Inboard 386/pc w/1 Meg  for
really cheap (new as well). I was interested in how it works, if it's
tricky to install (I've taken apart my computer several times so I'm not
afraid of that) and I'm especially keen on findinf out what the difference
between a inboard 386/pc and an inboard 386/at. I have an AT compatible
so I'd like to know of a 386/pc board will work with my AT. Thanks.

moe@milton.acs.washington.edu
"If you see me rockin',
    don't bother knockin'!"

patti@donk.UUCP (patti) (12/09/90)

In article <12599@milton.u.washington.edu> moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) writes:
>I was interested in how it works, if it's
>tricky to install (I've taken apart my computer several times so I'm not
>afraid of that)

(I've only installed the AT version, but I'm sure the PC version is
similar.)

The Inboard 386 plugs into a 16-bit slot in your AT.  The 80286 in your
computer is unplugged, and a flex cable is plugged into the board and the
80286 socket.  An 80287, if present, is removed, but there is a socket on
the Inboard for an 80387.  Note that you'll need to purchase a different
installation kit (cable & other goodies) depending upon what kind of
80286 socket you have in your system (PGA, PLCC, etc.)

It's tricker to install than just a board, but the instructions that come
with it are very well written and illustrated.  With the exception of the
screwdriver to open the computer, all of the tools (chip pullers, etc.)
that you will need come as part of the kit.  After installation, you
have to be a little bit careful when you open the computer, because of
the flex cable running through there.

>and I'm especially keen on findinf out what the difference
>between a inboard 386/pc and an inboard 386/at. I have an AT compatible
>so I'd like to know of a 386/pc board will work with my AT. Thanks.

I don't believe so.  The Inboard 386/PC is designed to plug into an 8088
socket.  The Inboard 386/AT is designed to plug into an 80286 socket.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking as someone who has installed a lot of Inboards,
but definitely not as a representative of Intel.