[comp.sys.intel] Intel compiler writers guide?

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/12/90)

Some time ago, probably in comp.compilers, I saw mention of an Intel document
called '80286 Compiler Writer's Guide', or something similar. Presumably this
would help a compiler write to get the best out of the architecture.

I would be interested in obtaining this book. I would be even more interested
in an 80386 or 80486 version! I sent an article to the comp.compilers
moderator, but either it was lost or it was moderated out. In any case, this
group is probably just as relevant.

Intel in the UK can't trace this. Any ideas/document numbers, anyone? Please?
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

In article <21510.276601ad@cluster@ukc.ac.uk>, I wrote:
> Some time ago, probably in comp.compilers, I saw mention of an Intel document
> called '80286 Compiler Writer's Guide', or something similar. Presumably this
> would help a compiler write to get the best out of the architecture.
>
> Intel in the UK can't trace this. Any ideas/document numbers, anyone? Please?

I should have said that I am aware of, and possess, the three common books
for the 80286 and 80386 (Hardware, Programmer's and OS Writer's manuals), and
the single thick book for the 80486. I was not talking about those.

dlau@mipos2.intel.com (Dan Lau) (12/13/90)

In article <21510.276601ad@cluster@ukc.ac.uk> cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) writes:
>Some time ago, probably in comp.compilers, I saw mention of an Intel document
>called '80286 Compiler Writer's Guide', or something similar. Presumably this
>would help a compiler write to get the best out of the architecture.
>
>I would be interested in obtaining this book. I would be even more interested
>in an 80386 or 80486 version! I sent an article to the comp.compilers
>moderator, but either it was lost or it was moderated out. In any case, this
>group is probably just as relevant.

To set the record(s) straight, there was a "286 Compiler Writer's Guide"
written within Intel, sometime way way back.  But it was never published
outside of the company, and only photo-copied versions were circulated to
a limited number of people outside Intel.

There is a collection of informal notes published by me called the "386
Compiler Writer's Guide" and these are available.  It was sent to most of
the ISVs developing 386 compilers at the time (about 3 years ago).  Most
Intel Sales Offices should know how to contact Intel Santa Clara (CA, USA)
to get a copy for distribution.  Alternatively, contact one of the major
386 compiler developers and see if you can get a copy from them instead.

For the i486, the Compiler Writer's Guide was more formalized based on the
experience gained with the 386CWG, and it is included as an appendix in
the i486 Programmer's Reference Manual (Appendix G, I believe).  But the
i486 appendix does not include all the information in the 386CWG, so having
a copy of the 386CWG is still helpful.  Since I wrote that one as well,
any feedback or communication would be appreciated.
	Dan Lau
	Intel Corp.

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/14/90)

In article <1356@inews.intel.com>, dlau@mipos2.intel.com (Dan Lau) writes:
> To set the record(s) straight, there was a "286 Compiler Writer's Guide"
> written within Intel, sometime way way back.  But it was never published
> outside of the company, and only photo-copied versions were circulated to
> a limited number of people outside Intel.
>
> There is a collection of informal notes published by me called the "386
> Compiler Writer's Guide" and these are available.  It was sent to most of
> the ISVs developing 386 compilers at the time (about 3 years ago).  Most
> Intel Sales Offices should know how to contact Intel Santa Clara (CA, USA)
> to get a copy for distribution.  Alternatively, contact one of the major
> 386 compiler developers and see if you can get a copy from them instead.
>
> For the i486, the Compiler Writer's Guide was more formalized based on the
> experience gained with the 386CWG, and it is included as an appendix in
> the i486 Programmer's Reference Manual (Appendix G, I believe).  But the
> i486 appendix does not include all the information in the 386CWG, so having
> a copy of the 386CWG is still helpful.  Since I wrote that one as well,
> any feedback or communication would be appreciated.
> 	Dan Lau
> 	Intel Corp.

Many thanks to Dan for setting the record straight. I appreciate it, and I
expect a lot of others do too.