[comp.sys.intel] AMD 80c287 vs Intel 80287: 100% alike?

aliao@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/20/90)

A friend of mine had a question which had its origins in an advertisement
for the AMD 80c287 chip... he'd like to know if it is exactly (100%) the
same as the Intel 80287 chip (except for that it is a CMOS chip [presumably]).
If you'd like to respond to his query, please send EMail to him at:

		cricket@buengf.bu.edu

Thanks in advance.

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec19.214312.37117@eagle.wesleyan.edu> aliao@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>A friend of mine had a question which had its origins in an advertisement
>for the AMD 80c287 chip... he'd like to know if it is exactly (100%) the
>same as the Intel 80287 chip (except for that it is a CMOS chip [presumably]).
>If you'd like to respond to his query, please send EMail to him at:
>
>		cricket@buengf.bu.edu
>
>Thanks in advance.

please check latest BYTE; there is an editorial on this topic; apparently
the AMD is 100% compatable and even better( apparently the power
consumption is lot less in AMDs)
-savel

Bharat P. Savel
EE Dept.                                       E-mail : savel@hoss.unl.edu
Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln                           Ph : (402) 477-9857

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (12/26/90)

In article <1990Dec24.192521.27064@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>In article <1990Dec19.214312.37117@eagle.wesleyan.edu> aliao@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>A friend of mine had a question which had its origins in an advertisement
>>for the AMD 80c287 chip... he'd like to know if it is exactly (100%) the
>
>please check latest BYTE; there is an editorial on this topic; apparently
>the AMD is 100% compatable and even better( apparently the power
>consumption is lot less in AMDs)
>-savel

The article covers the AM386, not the 80C287. Excellent article in any
event, and makes the interesting point that for _real world_ throughput,
a 40 MHz AM386 is as powerful as a 33 MHz i486. Considering the high
cost of the i486 and the fact I'm just a mite tired of the Intel
monopoly, I'm looking forward to buying every piece of AMD silicon I can
get my hands on. To Hell With Intel.

pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) (12/27/90)

I like it too, captive markets - plahhhh!  I can see '486 machines
selling for $2K!!!  Got to love it, come on AMD kick b*tt!

And I can't wait until Apple gets a warning shot, too!

In article <1990Dec27.152709.12011@convex.com> pekkala@convex.com (Rick Pekkala) writes:
| I like it too, captive markets - plahhhh!  I can see '486 machines
| selling for $2K!!!  Got to love it, come on AMD kick b*tt!

  Yes, there are a number of 486 machines selling for $2k, but to get
one with display and hard disk you still have to go about $3k. Of
course if you compare the 486 with the 386+387+cache you will find the
486 a lot cheaper in terms of $/MIP (or your favorite benchmark).

    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

heiser@tdw206.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec24.192521.27064@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>please check latest BYTE; there is an editorial on this topic; apparently
>the AMD is 100% compatable and even better( apparently the power
>consumption is lot less in AMDs)
>-savel

Does AMD have a chip compatible with the 80387?

--
Work: heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
      {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd.tdw201.ed.ray.com!heiser